Bach - Weimar and Kothen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 10th 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Aufwiedersehen EisenachAufwiedersehen EisenachAufwiedersehen Eisenach

You can see the Wartburg in the background.
We left Eisenach after three enjoyable days. It is really impossible to capture the beauty of the area with pictures. However, the terrain would remind you of western Wisconsin (which may be why so many German immigrants settled there). Rolling hills, fertile farm land and lots of forest. We tried to stay on local roads as we traveled around and were truly rewarded with the scenery.

We stopped at Weimar on our way to Eisenach. As I may have mentioned, this was home to one of the may princely courts and it was Bach's first job outside the church. By all accounts, he enjoyed his time there and had ample time and occasion for composition. He started as Court Organist and performed in the palace church (the Himmelkirke or Heaven's Church) which was attended only by the royal family. However, he also served as a court musician (he was also an excellent violinist in addition to being a keyboard virtuoso). He was apparently well regarded by the prince since he was ultimately promoted to and newly created position of "Concert Master" ranking third behind the director of music (Capellmeister) and his assistant. However, by the time he left court records indicate that he was payed twice as much as the Capellmeister!

As is the case in many of the locations where Bach worked, the original ducal palace including the Himmelkirke was destroyed by fire. What exists today was rebuilt in the 19th century in the same location. There is a plaque which marks the location of Bach's house. Weimar has a population of over 64,000 people and again, is only about 35 miles from Eisenach.

Kothen is a beautiful town which we visited on a Sunday so it was especially quiet. Much of the original palace still exists and there was a lot of renovation going on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Weimar Castle Original TowerWeimar Castle Original Tower
Weimar Castle Original Tower

Background buildings were built much later.
Location of Bach's HouseLocation of Bach's House
Location of Bach's House

Now a wall enclosing the parking lot of the Elephant Hotel!
Market Square - WeimarMarket Square - Weimar
Market Square - Weimar

Every Thuringian town has a traditional market square. This is one of the prettiest with city hall (Rathaus) in the background.
Thuringian Sausage (Wurst) Found EverywhereThuringian Sausage (Wurst) Found Everywhere
Thuringian Sausage (Wurst) Found Everywhere

If this looks suspiciously like Bratwurst, it is! Only served on a small bun with no kraut. But mustard and Ketchup! The bun just serves as a way to hold the sausage. I had to sample several over the course of the trip.
Guess Who?Guess Who?
Guess Who?

This one is in Weimar.
Kothen PalaceKothen Palace
Kothen Palace

Much of this palace is as it looked in Bach's time and is being further restored. Still surrounded by original moat.
St. Jacob's Church (Jacobikirke) KothenSt. Jacob's Church (Jacobikirke) Kothen
St. Jacob's Church (Jacobikirke) Kothen

Though Bach was a court musician, he would have undoubtedly played organ at this church.
Jakibikirke OrganJakibikirke Organ
Jakibikirke Organ

Again, not the original instrument but perhaps original case work.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb