Nuremberg etcetera


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

So the transfer to our new ship, the "Lif" (Scandinavian goddess of life), went very well. We had our luggage packed and labeled "room 202" and parked it outside our cabin by 7.30., as requested. After breakfast, 172 passengers got on the four buses at 9.00., and we managed to be amongst the first on our bus, so we nabbed the back seat so that I could lie down on it and save my back. It reminded us both of youth orchestra bus trips when we were teenagers, when we had much more urgent things on our minds on the back seat than saving my back!



Less than two hours later we were boarding the "Lif", where the staff welcomed us off the gangplank with a hot chocolate and Kalua concoction, and a fancy biscuit. We thought they were crazy to schedule lunch for 11.30., but when it came to it we were well ready! It was a little strange not having our usual friends to serve us, but we'll soon get to know the new lot.



We were supposed to sail at 11.30. whilst we had lunch, but due to the general disruption of traffic on the river there was a long queue for the first lock, so poor old Lee, our genial overall schedule manager, had to yet again sort out different tour arrangements. He sent buses off to Nuremberg and Bamburg, and they are to rendezvous with us after we have sailed on to Erlangen (where?).



Whilst we lie here on our bed watching the scenery go by through our giant cabin window, somebody just overtook us on a bike! That looks SO funny - a real l.o.l. moment!



Erlangen looked like nowhere in particular. The "Lif" crew made slightly heavy weather of getting a gangplank hoisted into place for the returning bus tourists - it involved a conductor's podium and an orange box! Presumably they have never had to stop there before.



With everyone back on board we departed Erlangen for who knows where, whilst we watched it all sail by through the setting sun over dinner. We were with an English couple whom we had dined with several times, and were joined by an American couple we hadn't met before, and we all got on famously. We've only had two slightly uncomfortable meals (no names, no pack drill!), one with someone who hogged the conversation, and the other with a couple who had NO conversation! The rest were a very happy medium.



They've delivered wedding anniversary champagne to our cabin a few days early. I shall thank them sweetly, but don't know whether to tell them it's the wrong day!



Still no luck with getting photos up. I'll keep trying!



Carole says she WASN'T anxious (mmm...)

Carole says she's fine. (yes she is)



And now, by popular request, a word from my sponsor-

note from Carole - I was a little concerned yesterday when we were told we would have to do a 2 hour bus trip to Bamberg, see round the town for 4 hours in blazing heat, then another bus trip of indefinite length to wherever they had managed to get the new boat to park. Just anxious on behalf of Colin, you understand! In the event they managed to split the whole enterprise up, as C has said, although there are a lot of real old crocks (even some on walkers! ) who seem to be able to manage to do everything!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.466s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb