Superb Strasbourg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 30th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We awoke this morning to a steady but gentle rain, which continued on and off the rest of the morning. We are docked at Strasbourg, France. After a nice breakfast, we walked a ways and boarded a small boat. It was glass-enclosed on the sides and with a rounded glass top, so the views were excellent no matter which way we looked. Through an on/off rain, we took a narrated boat tour of the city through several canals which flow through the area. We even had to get into a lock a couple of times to raise or lower our boat to another level. In addition to the canals, a river meanders through Stasbourg, although I'm not sure if it is the Rhine, or another river feeding into it. I'm too lazy to go ask someone.

After the narrated tour, we got off the boat and walked to the Cathedral Notre Dame. My words can't do justice to how impressive both the outside and inside of this Cathedral is. Stunning and beautiful. Inside are these beautiful stained glass windows, which were recovered by the 'Monuments Men' in 1945. These windows had been removed by the French to protect them from the bombing. The Nazis took and hid the windows. A group of US soldiers, under orders from General Eisenhower, searched and found many paintings and other items of art, which had been taken by the Germans. See if this link will come through:

http://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/the-heroes/the-monuments-men/ettlinger-t-4-sgt.-harry-l

If you're interested in learning more about the Monuments Men, both a book and movie are available for your research.

After the Cathedral we wandered around the area and looked at the many small shops with their French wares. Then we all walked a ways and boarded a tram which returned us to our ship in time for a tasty lunch. Then, of course, in the French way, Zee and I took a small nap. It will be traumatic to have to return to a real life, where we have to do our own cleaning and cooking. But, if we continued on this journey much longer I may not even fit to get through the door of our house...(grin)...

Right in front of our ship, as I type this, the river splits and on the smoother current of a branch of the river around three dozen white swans are floating serenely on the water. They are quite stately in their appearance, and lend an elegance to the area.

Although it continues to sprinkle occasionally, I may venture off the ship again and try to walk off some of lunch I consumed. We stay here for the night and tomorrow take a motor coach tour to Baden-Baden in the Black Forest. We again spend the night here, then the next day we cruise to Basal, Switzerland. Our ship journey is nearing an end -- just three more night on board -- but our friends and Zee and I opted for the post-trip extension and go on to Lucerne, Switzerland, where we spend three more days exploring the area.

Another interesting aspect of Strasbourg is that, over the centuries, it has flipped back and forth on ownership between France and Germany. Now French, now German, now...well, you get the picture. Although it is now in France, I suspect the German language and cultural influence remains. Although perhaps they exist, I haven't noticed any of what I would call a slum area in our travels. And very, very few homeless people.

The retirement systems in Europe are quite liberal. For example, in Germany, when one retires he or she may earn between 80 to 100 percent of their salary. I suspect that's why taxes are so high and everything is relatively expensive, at least compared to the US.

It has been an interesting journey, and I'm looking forward to the rest of it....Jim

Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb