Boozin' in Bernkastel


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 25th 2014
Published: July 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We are docked by the old village of Bernkastel. It dates to even before the Romans came. When they did come they brought grape vines with them, which provides the staple of the economy here, along with tourism. There are vines growing up very steep slopes on both sides of the river. How workers manage to harvest the grapes is beyond me. Truly steep inclines.

The first order of business -- after a sumptuous breakfast -- is a guided tour around the village. The guide has a microphone which broadcasts into our receivers. We can be a distance away from the guide and hear everything he or she says. Very helpful. At the end of the walk we had to (really, we were forced to) take a wine tasting at a local winery. It was 10 am in the morning and in a moment of righteous weakness, I thought: should I be drinking wine this early in the day? And then I remembered: it is 1 am in Prescott, certainly time for a late night sip. Conscious pacified, we progressed into a deep cave underground. It was cold in there -- about 47 degrees. We could see our breath in the cool air. There was water running on the floor.

We sipped four wines: a Pinot Noir and three versions of Riesling, the predominate varietal grown here. The Pinot was rose colored, akin to a Rose. The next, a "Gutreisling", was mighty tasty, and we bought two bottles of this. They delivered it to our ship later on. The other two white wines were tasty, but a bit too sweet for Zee and I. The owner explained the whole process, the history of the vineyard, and, altogether, made for a nice morning.

After a nice lunch, a group of us walked up a loooong and very steeeep hill to an old, abandoned castle. The climb was hard to do, but very rewarding at the end because of the tremendous views. Coming down was much easier. Boarding our ship I was so hot and thirsty. I and my friend rewarded ourselves with a Bitburger -- a local beer which I've taken quite a liking to.

Soon Zee and I will go to a gathering of the so-called "Inner Circle". This is acknowledges people who have traveled a lot with Grand Circle, and have spent much of their life savings on trips such as this. Perhaps we'll get a cookie and a cheap Champagne as a reward for our foolishness, and lack of monetary acumen. It is close to meeting time, so I'll have to finish my beer and go listen to what will probably be a sales presentation on why we should yet spend the rest of our savings with Grand Circle. You are already aware of my self-discipline (you'll recall the winery this morning), so, I shan't weaken. Definitely, well, surely, or, maybe possibly...(grin)....Jim

Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb