For the people who care about aerospace, some pictures for you...& the A380


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 24th 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A320 Vertical TailplaneA320 Vertical TailplaneA320 Vertical Tailplane

Now imagine the size of the A380 Tailplane. This was taken at the end of a work related trip to the Airbus Stade site. It is the site where the tailplanes for all the Airbus aircraft are manufactured along with other components such as the A400M wings.
When I heard that the ILA was going to have the A380 flying on the public days I just had to go and lucky for me, it was not too hard to find a heap of praktikants who were just as keen to go. So with Sebastian as the driver, Inga, Marcell, Torell and Me left Bremen Central Station at 6am with plenty of munchies to keep us going! Knowing how punctual Sebastian is I forced myself out of bed at 4:30am and ended up being there 15min early, silly move!

The plan was to be in Berlin and in the Airshow by 10:00am at the latest, and things were looking good, that is until the final 5km as is always the case with these events, and as a result we only got in at 11am. Just in time to see the Airbus show which showcased the A318, A340 and of course the A380 😊.

As you might notice from the pictures, I was really there for the A380. The sheer size of it is amazing and I can't get over how such a large aircraft could be so quite. I think the pictures say it all for me.
Air Traffic Control Tower 1Air Traffic Control Tower 1Air Traffic Control Tower 1

Lucky me! Sebastian organised a tour of the ATC for 6 of us prakticants. Apart from the great view from the tower, we also learned a lot about the co-ordination required for a safe air-travel, something I had honestly not given significant thought to previously.
Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Air Traffic Control Tower 2Air Traffic Control Tower 2
Air Traffic Control Tower 2

There are over 8000 flights going over Germany every day! Seeing the radar control screens makes you understand why they say air traffic controll is one of the most stressful jobs in the world.
ILA - A380 ILA - A380
ILA - A380

You will notice a theme in these photos: the A380!!
ILA - A318, A340 & A380ILA - A318, A340 & A380
ILA - A318, A340 & A380

A comparison is the sizes: A318 is the smallest Airbus, A340 is the longest and the A380 is the largest!
ILA - Viv  & MeILA - Viv  & Me
ILA - Viv & Me

Look who I found at the ILA....VIV another uni mate who doing his internship in Augsburg. It's a small world!


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb