Dachau Concentration Camp


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
April 15th 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gates to Concentration Camp DachauGates to Concentration Camp DachauGates to Concentration Camp Dachau

Ironic that what is written on the gate is "work makes you free"
This is where the Site of the first Nazi Concentration Camp is and because it was the first one it was used as the ‘model’ for others and it is from here that most of the ‘official’ photographs and videos of the inside of these camps come from. Seeing one of these places is in short a horrible experience but I think that it is important to see as it is such a recent and powerful example of how dangerous people are when in an organized crowd of sheep. And the fact is that people sat back and allowed this to happen. There is a quote from Einstein that comes to mind when thinking about this it goes something like “The world is dangerous place not because of the evil people in it, but because of the people who do nothing about it”

When you walk through the gates you enter the large assembly area and you can see many different building and the sheer size of the place is shocking. But it becomes even worse when you see the map and realise that what you are seeing is only a small part of the entire complex. At the time of the liberation of the camp, there was over 30,000 people in there and the camp was operational for 14 years!!

You could also visit the prisoner cells and it was nasty because they all still smelt like blood and urine. I think that smell was probably the worst part of the entire experience, along with the footage from the furnaces (by the way in Dachau they had to build a second one to keep up with the dead). However after seeing the footage of those particular crematories in operation I felt too sick to go and visit them myself.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Assembly area in DachauAssembly area in Dachau
Assembly area in Dachau

The area you see here is only a fraction of the entire complex : (


Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.052s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb