Day 3 - Cologne to Switzerland (Lucerne) 20/12


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
December 20th 2009
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast again was amazing. However this was kind of the last of the really really good breakfasts! Ok, some along the way weren't too bad, but compared to this one, they just never made that mark again! It was all good though ....

Now this was the first day of Optional tours! The first optional tour on offer being the Cruise along the Reine River. Luckily I had read about it previously and opted not to do it! Honestly to give more detail about this, by not doing it, you hop in the bus and travel directly beside the river seeing all the "castles" and ruins that the people see on the boat. Ok, so they see it somewhat slower and have a running commentary to go along with it, but by not going on the tour, we didn't miss out on anything! Now, we were then at a cute little town at the end of their cruise. I admit we did arrive at the town half an hour before the shops all officially opened at 10am, however there were some bakeries open and nothing like trying to communicate to someone who doesn't speak english, so its a kind of point and hope for the best situation! Actually its really not that bad, so long as you know what you want and all. In the end, we didn't hang around after eating our cake much, and preferred to sit in the warmth of the bus for half an hour. Others hung around the little town and were able to purchase steins and similar items from the shops as they opened. The people that chose the boat option did not get this chance at all. It was also sunday when we were at the town, so that might have pushed back opening hours slightly. Overall though, I'm glad I saved the 40 euro that it would have cost us. A few of the people that chose that option, wish they had of saved the money as well, especially after hearing we saw the same things anyway, and then had the chance to shop!

Next stop was Heidelberg. Or at least I think thats how you spell it! Talk about falling in love with the town! The Christmas markets in every portion of open space were just so beautiful. Again the lack of language that I speak, meant for lunch we
sunrise in germanysunrise in germanysunrise in germany

heading out before the sun again to drop people off for their cruise
had freshly baked waffles (I mean they seemed a safe option). Having a teenage boy with me, he wasn't disappointed with that either 😊 Wandering around looking at everything was the experience I had come on the trip for! Also after seeing so many of the stands curiousity got the better of me and I approached a drink stand to find out first if the guy spoke any english, and second, what on earth they were selling. Apparently its popular to have hot wine in Germany! With how cold it was, it seemed a perfect idea as well. They make a "kinder" option, so I bought one for my son. Now with their cups you pay a deposit on the cup with the wine, so I think it was 4.50 euro. We didn't return the mug, preferring to keep it as a trinket and momento of our trip. Wow, definitely try this liquid if you get the chance! Totally sold on it, and need to track some down when winter hits Australia!

The trip seemed to fly by and heading into Lucerne it was kind of cute that in Germany there was a massive power plant or similar, but
snowy little townsnowy little townsnowy little town

the temperature again was something like minus 6, so a bunch of fun
being dark when we were driving, and all lit up, it seemed so beautiful! Its amazing what lack of light can do to probably ugly buildings during the day, and it would have been a monster metal construction, I'm sure. We had an included tea that night. All the meals on the trip, you couldn't complain about. Ok, so some did, but they complained alot anyway! I didn't have to cook, or do the dishes, so I was content!

After tea, we went for a stroll out and about the city of Lucerne. We were lucky enough to have a hotel in the centre of town, and a five minute walk from the central train station. I think walking across the bridge in Lucerne would been my all time favourite moment of the trip. It was snowing, and we must have looked like complete idiots wandering with our hands out capturing the snow looking at the snow crystals! There were snow fights along the way, but overall, it was just such a perfect town, perfect snow, and perfect night! Lucerne just breathtaking!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

yumyum
yum

was amazing so freshly cooked and warm, with the weather being so cold!
tea lucernetea lucerne
tea lucerne

tomato soup
teatea
tea

chicken
desssertsdessserts
dessserts

icecream
lucerne bridgelucerne bridge
lucerne bridge

how we love the snow :)


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb