Regensberg to Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 14th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So many places in Germany suggest they have the oldest everything, the oldest pharmacy, cathedral etc, well Regensburg had the oldest restaurant called the ‘old sausage kitchen’, apparently from the 12th century ‘wurstkuche’. There was also a demonstration on how cuckoo clocks came into being and why they have one, two or three weights - one - is the cuckoo (sound made by paper bellows), two is for moving figures and the third is for the music (you can turn off the cuckoo sounds for the night time).

The next days sees us in Nuremberg, many of the tour went off to visit the sites of the Nuremberg trials, however, these were not my cup of tea, so I just went into the city and walked around (Nuremberg also lays claim to having the oldest sausage!). There are lots of interesting half timbered houses, and Albrecht Durer was an artist who lived here - we tried all sorts of beer that is local to Bavaria. They had a fountain with a gold ring which is told to be lucky if you turn it three times, your wish comes true, 3 to the left for matters of the heart, and 3 to the right for money matters. Just to be on the safe side, I did it both ways! Nuremberg is also famous for its gingerbread - the best being Elisenlebkutchen, which is hazelnuts, almonds and egg white with no flour.

On to Bamberg - the home of the Hoffmann house (the star of Offenbach’s ‘The tales of Hoffman’ opera. This is a very pretty little town. With bridges and waterways, and is said to be ‘little Venice’.

Wurzburg was the next city visited with a bridge with saints at each pillar, said to be essentially from the 1500’s. It is famous for a particular type of wine - Franconian (as the people of this area are called) wine is in a bottle such as those you would recognize - that of the mateus rose shape, here called bocksbeutel - these are the only two recognized brands able to use this shaped bottle. This afternoon we undertook an excursion to Rothenberg - the most beautiful walled medieval town. The entire town is a museum, the buildings are beautiful and the cobblestone streets are jut gorgeous. It is almost a Christmas village. It has a German Christmas museum, teddy shop and museum and dolls everywhere. The largest of these is the Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas village which has everything related to Christmas (I loved it of course). I could just imagine this village in the winter - it would be like a fairytale.

The next day, our stay n Miltenberg was a quiet stop, not too much history, and it was not helped by a guide, who could not speak much English. Just walked and drank some coffee!

Now we are well on the Rhine River, lots of castles and just where the Rhine is at its narrowest is the Lorelei rock, which caused ships to founder in its currents, the fable about the sorceress who sang the sailors to their watery fate came about from this point. It has been raining and drizzling so that the scenery is not at its best. Rudesheim was a beautify town visited the next day. We had a cute little train ride to the Siegfried museum, which is a private collection of self-playing musical instruments which was great fun! After this went to the Rudesheimer Schloss, to try special coffee with brandy and sugar burnt into a caramel, then coffee and cream are added and topped off with grated chocolate - yummmmm!

Overnight to Cologne - home of the 4711 eau de cologne - walked around the town, Betty, Michael and I tried the local Kolsch beer and then walked back to the ship along the river front. Tomorrow is our last day on the boat, we reach Amsterdam in Holland - we have a farewell dinner tonight and a talent show.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb