Sad to leave Munich...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 17th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After spending 4 nights in Munich, we left for Dusseldorf this morning.... we both LOVED Munich. It was a beautiful city, modern yet classic. Both of us left, with hopes to return. When we got to Munich, we had nowhere to stay for our first night. We took a chance on an outdoor style tent city, namely titled "The Tent". To our surprise, when we arrived it was a hippi's heaven. Rainbow colours decorated the small village, complete with the best showers we've ever had and easy access to the metro. On top of that, the people here were great fun and everyone was easygoing and looking to have a good time.

For two nights we stayed at "The Tent", and then moved to our previously booked hostel, "Euro Youth Hostel". This was, by far, the most beautiful hostel we had stayed at so far, andthe staff were incredibly accomodating. The attached bar was a popular tourist hangout which we took advantage of.

So what is there to do in Munich? One of the things on our "to do list" while in Germany, was to visit a concentration camp. Munich happened to be adjacent to the Dachau concentration camp, and we took a day trip guided tour out there. Pictures and words can't really describe the eerie feeling you get when stepping inside the gates. I wouldn't call it fun, but rather an eye opening experience; in school, you don't get the details of what went on, and it left us a bit somber, but very appreciative of what we have.

On a lighter note, we were told that Munich was the beer capital of the world, and it certainly lived up to its name. The second tour we took, was called "The Beer Challenge". This was basically a walking pub crawl, with a very spirited English guide who gave us all the details about the history of German beer and lead us around to the most popular beer halls and beer gardens in the city. The only problem was, they only serve liter beers and we ended up sharing ours to avoid becoming "messy". Our group was a really good time, and there ended up being two girls from Regina on our tour, along with some Brits, Brazilians, and Americans.

German food was definitely part of the experience! Everywhere you went there were lines of shops that looked like home made desserts and Christmas dinners. And the smell followed you around wherever you went - a nice change from Paris. We limited ourselves, but also indulged in some of the traditional meals, which happened to be some of the best food we've ever tasted. Unfortunately, Canadian food will never compare.

So, here we are in Dusseldorf, which is a slight change of plans. Early in the week we had decided that instead of going to Berlin and Vienna, we both really really wanted to go to Ireland. As a result, we booked a flight and that's where we're headed tomorrow! Becky has offered to play tour guide for the week, and take us around the island - we can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The HofbrauhausThe Hofbrauhaus
The Hofbrauhaus

The most famous beer hall in Munich


18th July 2009

Ireland
All I have to say is....."we will come and get you"......lol.....Have a great stay there and take tons of pictures!!
19th July 2009

Who's your mommy
Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourselves, and got out of Paris safely. Dad says have a beer for him. We are enjoying 27' weather up bat Turtlw Lake. Colin Fraser and I just beat the pants off the rest of the crew in bean bag toss. Hope to hear from you soon. Love Mom.

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb