August 28th


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 28th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

August 28th

A LONG day today, as we biked 40.4 miles out of Bamberg towards Nürnburg. Even more amazing was that, while most of Germany’s bicycle trails are the Land of Milk and Honey as far as biking goes, today we did about a third of the ride on gravel paths. Granted, these gravel paths were in better condition than most of the roads I’ve seen in either San Jose or San Diego :P but it takes it’s toll after awhile. We had to check the GPS a couple of times to make sure we were on the right path, but we managed to keep it heading towards Nurnburg. Had a race going for awhile with the river barge “Babetta” as she made her way down the Main - Donau Kanal. We joined the race as she was reaching the top of a lock as we met the Kanal. She then passed us when the route took us away from the Kanal, we passed her, she regained the lead while we had lunch, and then we finally pulled away from her as we hit a very long stretch of the Kanal and then passed several locks which put her in our dust for good. We finally called a halt in the town of Fürth, following the closest hotel listed in the GPS’s POI database. After showering off the dust from the gravel roads, we headed off in search of dinner and more German beer to add to the list. We succeeded in both, and actually have some left-over pizza for lunch tomorrow (an Italian place was the only thing we could find in “easy” walking distance).


Advertisement



29th August 2008

Only two references??
How are we supposed to get our Friday buzz on with an entry like this? ;)

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb