Augsburg to Munich via Dachau.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 14th 2023
Published: June 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was in the same restaurant that we had dinner in last night. It was a buffet breakfast and a good selection except there no boiled eggs. John and Sue have started to set off very early to avoid cycling in the hottest part of the day so we don't see them at breakfast time.

Before setting off we went to Our Lady's church as so many people had said we should. Apparently it was open last night we just just tried the wrong door. It was the side door that was open. Mass was on so we just stayed a few minutes and didn't take photos but everyone was right, it was really ornate and beautiful. It was very Italian looking in design

There was an easterly wind all day and as we were heading east all day we were into the wind all day. As it was also very sunny we had to keep applying the sun screen. There were several long slow climbs but it was a much easier day than yesterday. As on most days we kept meeting up with Bob and Dave.

Our yoghurt and nut stop was sat on a bench looking over a wonderful rural view and was actually in the shade and very sheltered from the wind. As we sat there Tony, Deborah and Shirley rode by after having a coffee stop in the town we had just passed through.

Our lunch stop was next to a large crucifix with flowers round the bottom, half way up a hill. At this point we were only eleven miles from Augsburg. As on previous days we were mostly passing through crops of barley, maize, rhy and potatoes. In one field we saw a solitary stork looking for food.

We came through a park with a huge monument just before arriving in Augsburg. We later found out this was a Bismarck monument. Many German cities have these as a memorial to Bismark and to honour his work unifying the Empire. We were above the city and could see how large it was. Once we entered the city it was about another five miles before we reached the hotel, which was very central.

It cost us 20€ to put the bikes in the room. The alternative was to leave them out the front. I'm not sure why we couldn't put them in the garage but we were the last to arrive and everyone else had paid to put them in their rooms. We couldn't risk leaving them outside on the main street.

Most of us met at a Bavarian restaurant, that Lorna had booked, for the evening meal. Lorna usually arrives first at the hotel and is great at sending messages about check in time, where to leave the bikes, codes needed etc and then finding an evening meal spot.

After the meal we had a walk around the centre of the old part of the city with Richard and then sat in the main square to have a coffee.

Augsburg is the third largest city of Bavaria and its oldest tracing its origins to the Roman's in the first century AD. The Fuggers merchant bankers built a huge trade empire in Augsburg and founded the famous Fuggerei, the world's oldest social housing complex. It is known today for vehicle engine manufacturing.

We are now half way through our trip.

41 miles.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb