Neustadt an der Aisch to Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 10th 2023
Published: June 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We were down for breakfast at 7.30am, as instructed. There was a superb choice, including gluten free. We were off by 9.00am and there was a lot of flat to start with. We passed through towns with amazing buildings and large arable farms. We also saw more storks and a few cows but hardly any other animals.

We had yoghurts and nuts sat under a tree, on a bench, in the middle of huge flat fields.



There was only one real climb, up through some forests, and true to form the path was rutted, gravelly and steep. Fortunately at this point there were only the two of us so we didn't have to navigate other riders as well. Once at the top we crossed over the water shed of the Rhine and Danube rivers.



We arrived in Rothenburg ob der Tauber around 1.30pm and headed straight for a cafe for sandwiches and coffee. Some of the others joined us and we sat and talked to Richard for ages which resulted in a second coffee. Oscar said he had found an Indian restaurant and perhaps we should book that for the evening as obviously it's a busy place and it's Saturday evening. Paul and I went off with Richard to book it on the way to the hotel.



We have stayed in Rothenburg before, on our way to Vienna. Last time just before we arrived the path went down, down, down and then up, up, up to the city. This time we came from the opposite direction and it was a flat entrance to the city.



We found the hotel and could drop off the bikes and bags but not check in so wandered off and had an ice cream while we waited. Once we could check in we did so and had showers, did washing etc. We then had a walk round some of the city walls and into the city centre before making our way to the Taj Mahal to meet the others. After the meal we wandered round the centre for about another hour with Dave before making our way back to the hotel.



Others in the group have cycled all over the world In every continent except South America and all know each other well. They make our European trips seem very tame but ours have always been self planned and self led, whereas theirs have been organised tours with guides in many countries. It is very interesting to hear stories they have to tell from their adventures.



Rothenburg ob der Tauber is known for its medieval architecture and half timbered buildings lining the cobblestone lanes of it's old town. The intact medieval walls include many preserved gate houses and towers plus a covered walk way. The streets converge like the spokes of a wheel from the city gates and walls to the central market place with its Rathaus. It's name means 'Red fortress above the Tauber', referring to the red roofs of the houses overlooking the river.

It's December all year round at the town's most famous shop, Kathe Wohlfaht's Christmas Village.



35 miles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb