Cities of Light Prague to Paris Trier


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 24th 2022
Published: June 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Today we visited the ancient city of Trier. This city was founded by the Romans and was already ancient during the Medieval era. The Romans built churches, bridges, along with a Colloseum and Baths. We started our day with a bus trip and drive around the city. Once we got to the town center, we began a 4 hour tour of the city.

We visited the only Protestant Church in the city, the Jewish Quarter, and several Catholic Churches. Our guide, like all guides, was well informed, knowledgable, and kept us all entertained with stories of this interesting city.

This was also the city where karl Marx was born. I kind of found that very interesting. He was born and remained here until he was 18 when he moved to England for many years then to Russia where he developed his Marxist Philosophy. The city was gifted a huge statue commerating their famous son by China. Although they don't like the statue, they - of course - display it so that they do not insult the giver of the gift.

After our tour, we were given 90 minutes to explore on our own. Our crew, Claude, Rosemary, Dan and Barb, decided it was time for beer, so we headed to a beer garten and enjoyed some free time resting, drinking, and engaging in general conversation. It will be hard to say goodbye to new friends.

Some other important things about a European trip.

First and foremost, you are not in the US or your home country. Things here are different so do not expect an American hot dog in Europe! You have to be open to new things and have to realize you are the visitor.

Europe is slower, especially in Germany, so when you sit down at a restaurant don't expect immediate service. Take your time; a waiter will get there sooner or later. Your food will take time as it is not premade like at home. You will have to ask for a bill and will, undoubtedly, have to wait to get it. Most cafes and smaller restaurants DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS so be sure you have local currency before you sit down.

If you are on a tour and are taking a walking tour, be prepared. WALKing in the key word. You will walk no matter the weather, hot, cold, wet, or dry. You will walk. The guides recognize that people walk at various pace, so if he is going too fast let him know, he will slow down. It is expected that each time you have a day guide you should tip them at the end of the tour. It is typical to tip them 3 - 5 E PER person in your group. This is how they earn a living so please be generous.

Another thing to understand is Air Conditioning. In Europe they do not understand that, especially Americans, want everything cold - ice cold. Buses do have A/C but it is nowhere near as fast or effective as we are used to. Be prepared to be a little warm when on the bus. It os not that the drive won't turn it colder; it is that it will not go colder. Again, you are not in the US. Complaining will not help.

Your tour company will do all they can to help you with an issue, but you are also responsible for your own destiny. If your bags are lost, they will help, but they can't do more than supply some information as the responsibility for the bags lies with the airline so pushing the tour company may only led to frustration. Pushing the tour company will only make it worse.

Just remember PUT YOUR MEDS in your carry on. In case your bags are lost, essential meds are in hand.

If you are looking for a local meal, walk a block or two away from the town center. The prices will be lower, the food more local, and the pace, well it can't get slower, so enjoy!

At the end of the tour, you will be asked to fill out an evaluation form. DO FILL THIS OUT. It is important. Viking and other cruise companies do listen to your evaluations and will make changes accordingly.

Here is one I just learned, Air Tags. This is an Apple invention that will track your bags. Android has a similiar product called Tile. You put one of the items in your bag and via WiFi connect to your phone. The device will ping your phone to let you know where your bag is. This may help in recovering your bag or just frustrate you by knowing exactly where your bag is and you can't get it. It may be a good idea anyway, so a small investment is appropriate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb