Arendsee - Meseberg - Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony-Anhalt » Arendsee
September 29th 2016
Published: October 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Checked out of the hotel and back on the road again. Had some time before our appointment so thought we would check out Arendsee on the way. Nice little town right on a lake.

We got to the mill just as a couple of people from the Muhle Society turned up. It was pretty hard with communication as their English was as good as our German. They went and got Bernhard Sasse who knew a little bit of English. He said he met Bernard when he first came over and made the mill known to the family back in NZ.

They opened up the mill and got it working to show us how it all worked. It certainly shakes, rattles and rolls. Next thing, there were a few more people turned up and also a reporter from the Osterberg Newspaper asking if he could interview us.

Apparently it was a big deal that a descendant from Johann and Wilhelm Dassler has come to see the mill all the way from NZ. (They obviously don't get out much). Well anyway, after an interview and a few pics, the reporter turned out to be a great interpreter.

We had a lovely time. It was amazing the workings of the mill as most of the original timber is still used and on the main wheel that drives the whole thing is the Dassler name and dated back to the 1800's. It certainly moves around and makes quite a racket when it's cranked up. It has two massive grinding stones, to grind wheat and corn.

It also has a clever pulley system to hoist the grain up into the mill.

There is a big piece of timber on the ground that came out of the mill that you can just make out the name stamped on it, "Joh Christian Dassler" then it has something else and then the word "Marken".

Finally time to say goodbye and drive back to Berlin. Arrived at our hotel, early evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb