Day 1 - Frankfurt to Oberwessel


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Oberwesel
July 10th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SchonburgSchonburgSchonburg

The castle as seen from Oberwessel

Welcome to Germany



After a late start out of Chicago and a uneventful flight we landed at the Frankfurt International Airport - Europe's largest airport. It's very large. we know this because we walked most of it looking for the car rental booths. Just to confuse things there were two...at opposite ends of the airport. At least we got to stretch our legs after the flight.

Once we got our car and started on the road it was learn by doing time for Tony, I'm glad I have not had to drive yet.

Our first stop was Schonburg, a castle in Oberwessel along the Rhine, about 45 minutes from Frankfurt. It was a very picturesque place to relax after the flight and try to reset our internal clocks. the castle is on the ridge above the town and has some amazing views of the Rhine and the town.

Schonburg was built sometime between the 10th and 12th centuries and was largely destroyed in 1689 by French soldiers. It was restored in the 19th century and then in 1950 the town purchased the castle. In 1957 the Huttl family acquired the castle and created the hotel and restaurant.
Our RoomOur RoomOur Room

About half our room...in total it was about 12' x 15', including the bathroom.


We had a wonderful 3 course dinner that night at the hotel and tried most of the food (we couldn't bring ourselves to eat the raw hamburger but Tony enjoyed the pate). the berries for dessert were especially tasty, better than what we usually have at home.

A few things we learned today:

*Roads are small, and often one lane
*Doors are small
*Cars are small
*Just because you see a castle, doesn't mean it's the one you are looking for


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Town ofOberwessel The Town ofOberwessel
The Town ofOberwessel

Oberwessel as seen from the castle courtyard.
Room KeyRoom Key
Room Key

The room keys came attached to a great knight statue. Most everybody brought theirs to dinner and breakfast.
Schonburg interiorSchonburg interior
Schonburg interior

There were quite a few places to explore inside the castle. Here's a picture of one of the battlements.


12th July 2010

Castle
It's only a model.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb