Rhine cliffs


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Bad Salzig
September 5th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today we went for a walk on the east bank of the Rhine. We took the ferry across the river and went up the other hillside. Temps were a steady 29C again, but the trees afforded enough shade.

On a microclimatological point, various signs along the way indicated how the local micro-climate had a distinct influence on the vegeatation, according to the slope aspect. There is loads of info about local fora and fauna too. The hillside side opposite Boppard was particualry hot and dry, with mediterranean type vegeation, scrubby trees which were prone to fire. Temps hovered around 30C. A couple of kms or so further on, we descended by a shady valley, and temps dipped to around 24C (I had a pocket electronic thermometer, just for fun/scientific interest) and on the track there was the odd puddle, the trees were much taller.

Back in the valley, and under the sun again, at Kamp-Bornhofen we stopped off at the open air swimming pool. Lovely. Until the schools emptied, and loads of kids turned up. Still, at least they were reasonably behaved. That's the thing about Germany: they have plenty of swimming pools here. Back in Leeds there are
KasiaKasiaKasia

Somet to get us up t'hill!
very few pools. Kids hang around in gangs in the streets instead.

We'd timed it just right to get one of the boats which called in at Kamp Borhofen and also Bad Salzig back across the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Rhine boatsRhine boats
Rhine boats

Isn't it typical? You wait for a boat back up the Rhine - and then five turn up! (Actually only one calls in at Kamp-Bornhofen)


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 25; qc: 140; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb