Dusseldorf, Germany - Better than you think!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Düsseldorf
December 31st 2006
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

010101

Frank Gehry Buidlings
“Düsseldorf? Why go there?” asked certain people when I told them of our plans for New Year’s Eve. “Surely there are better places to go than Düsseldorf?”

And that was the problem. Düsseldorf seemed to have a bit of an image problem. I blame Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the hit 1980’s TV program. On screen Düsseldorf was portrayed as a bleak industrial city, certainly not a top destination for a European city-break. So I decided to find out more.

On the city’s official website, Düsseldorf was described as having ‘…one of the world’s most elegant shopping metropolises’, and even better, I read, it’s Old Town had ‘more than 260 restaurants an inns…known as the longest bar in the world.’

I was sold immediately and it didn’t take long to convince Jodie either. And as an added bonus, Jodie invited her parents to come along too. The four of us would experience our first German New Year’s Eve together.

Düsseldorf is one of Germany’s richest cities, the country’s advertising and fashion capital (Claudia Schiffer was discovered in a Dusseldorf) but not only that, it’s the top telecommunications hub. Furthermore, helping to pave the streets with even more gold are
020202

Thyssen Buildings - nice!
the Japanese. Since the 1960’s, Japan and Germany have been forging strong links with one another. Many Japanese banks and corporations have based their headquarters in the city, accounting for the largest Japanese population of any European city. And the Hotel Nikko, our place of stay, was in the centre of this Japanese District.

Düsseldorf was first mentioned in 1135, but it wasn’t until 1288 that it was granted city rights. The eighteenth century saw some impressive growth but bad news was just around the corner in the form of the Napoleonic wars. Suddenly the city was in decline. But fortune was smiling down on the residents of Düsseldorf. The Industrial Revolution eventually kick-started the local economy, and saw the city’s population increase to 100,000 by 1882 and double again only a decade later. Then came the First and Second World Wars. The almost continuous bombing during the latter reduced the city to near rubble. Düsseldorf ended up in a massive nosedive of depression. Incredibly, regeneration kicked in as soon as the war ended. The frenetic pace of development made Düsseldorf the city it is today.

The Hotel Nikko was located just a short walk away from the
030303

Sundown along the Rhine
Königsallee, the main shopping district. Expensive shops filled both sides of a long tree-planted boulevard, bisected by a picturesque canal. “Look,” I said, pointing into the water. “A fish!” And it was a big one too. We headed down to the water’s edge to see it more closely. The cleanliness of the water surprised us. It was possible to see right to the bottom. In the UK, a fish would’ve had to contend with plastic bottles, crisp packets and lots more besides.

Completed in 1804, the boulevard was originally named Kastanienallee or Chestnut Avenue, but then something unfortunate occurred. One day in 1848, just as King Friedrich Wilhelm IV was traversing the thoroughfare, someone decided to lob a dollop of horse manure at him. Understandably there was a bit of a commotion about this, and so, as a gesture of goodwill, the boulevard was renamed Königsallee, or King’s Avenue, and everyone seemed happy. We crossed the bridge, heading for the Altstadt or Old Town.

Our first stop was the main square, Burgplatz, located adjacent to the River Rhine. Dominating one side of the square was the Schlossturm Tower, the only remaining section of a great castle that burned
040404

Konigsallee Canal - picturesque
down in 1872. Nowadays, it hosts a museum dedicated to a thousand years of maritime history.

Just behind the tower was the St Lambert’s Church, famous for its twisted spire. Built in 1395, a fire destroyed the original spire in 1815 so a rebuild was ordered. But soon after completion the wood began to warp creating the famous twist.

Towards the corner of Burgplatz was the Radchläger or Cartwheel Fountain. Dating from 1954, it depicts two boys engaged in a spot of cart-wheeling. At the time, this was a popular pastime for the young of Düsseldorf. A good way of earning money from passing tourists.

Just along from it was a quite grisly-looking monument, containing, amongst other things, knights riding upon skeletal horses. Later we found out it was a memorial portraying the Battle of Worringen, one of the biggest battles fought in Europe during the Middle Ages.

We decided to take a stroll along the Rhine Promenade. Up until 1995, the people of Düsseldorf would’ve found it hard to reach the River Rhine. The problem was the main road running along the river used by over 50,000 vehicles a day acted as an
050505

Schlossturn Tower
effective barrier between the centre of town and the river. Eventually, in an amazing engineering feat, and at a cost of 570 million Deutschmarks, the road was placed in a tunnel, with the ground above covered up. And this was where they built the promenade.

In the distance we couldn’t miss the majestic Rheinturn, or Rhine Tower. Completed in 1982, this 240 metre high structure is used as a telecommunication tower. But as a special feature, it boasts a revolving restaurant near the top. It also holds a place in the record books. Incorporated into its vertical length are a series of portholes, which at seemingly random intervals flashed either red or yellow. But the way they flashed wasn’t as haphazard as we first thought. In fact they lit up in a very precise way depending on the time of day. What we were looking at was the world’s biggest digital clock.

Arriving at the base of the tower, we were not surprised to find it closed. But it was open later than night. “Bloody Hell!” cried Roy, reading a notice placed on the entrance. “It says here that a six-course meal tonight will cost a hundred quid
060606

St Lambert's with its famous twisted spire
per person!”

Just further along from the tower was the rather odd looking skyscraper called the Stadttor, or Düsseldorf Gate. The seat of the Federal Government, the glass-covered building was finished in 1997 and looked rather mundane. It even looked unfinished, with construction work seemingly going on inside. But we were wrong: it was complete, and furthermore, to those in the know, the Stadttor was a marvel of modern architecture, even winning prizes for its pioneering designs and features.

“Look at those pretty buildings,” said Jodie, pointing towards the Media Harbour. This area of Düsseldorf has gone though massive regeneration. Gone were the warehouses and silos of the former harbour and in their place stood buildings designed by world-renowned architects. Jodie was pointing to a set of buildings designed by the Canadian-born architect, Frank Gehry. With their modern-looking wavy design, they certainly captured the imagination. The silver one caught my interest most. With sunlight glinting of its rolling metal surfaces, it looked like something out of a science-fiction film.

The other side of the harbour was no slouch when it came to architectural gems either. For instance the Colorium, with its protruding red roof and coloured glass
070707

Cartwheel Statue
exterior, and the Roggendorf-Haus, with its crazy plastic figures scaling the exterior, made the harbour one of the highlights of Düsseldorf for us.

After a quick cup of coffee, we were off again down the Rhine Promenade. A few side streets later, we came to a unique statue on Dusseldorf. The Mariensäule, or Statue of Our Lady, is oddly, the city’s only surviving religious monument. Constructed in 1854, it stands proud in a pretty part of town.

A few minutes later, we were back in the shopping district, the Königsallee, walking past an open-air ice-rink, complete with jazz band. Up ahead was the mighty Kaufhof Department Store. Built in 1909 it was a good example of the Art Nouveau style still prevalent in the city.
But we were heading for an even more interesting building. But to be honest, the Wilhelm-Marx House didn’t look particularly inspiring when we finally reached it. Its red-brick exterior and rather plain design belittled its importance. At the time of its construction (1922-1924) it was Germany’s tallest skyscraper. At a measly thirteen floors though, it is now easily eclipsed by the more recent editions to the Düsseldorf skyline.

Back once more
080808

Rhine Promenade
in the Altstadt, we wandered down a small street to find the memorial to Schneider Wibbel. According to folklore, Mr Wibbel had been a dressmaker who, rather foolishly, took it upon himself to insult the great Napoleon Bonaparte. Not surprisingly, retribution was sought, and poor Wibbel was sentenced to life imprisonment. But the dressmaker was a clever chap, and so instead of tootling off to jail himself, he sent his apprentice, who eventually perished in his cell. This left Wibbel to carry on his new life unhindered

His monument was a clock perched up high on a wall. And beneath the clock were some shutters, which if the time was right, would open to reveal a mechanical figure playing a glockenspiel. But we arrived at precisely the wrong time, and so we were forced to move on.

The Rathaus or Town Hall is a striking feature of Marktplatz. A smaller square than the nearby Burgplatz, scores of people were wandering around, either browsing the shops or sitting in the bars and cafes dotted around. Originally built in the 16th century, the Rathaus was critically damaged by bombing during World War II. Thankfully in the late 1950’s a rebuild
090909

Rhine Tower - big!
was commissioned, allowing the Town Hall to regain much of its former glory.

The square also contained Düsseldorf’s oldest statue. Dating from 1711 it depicts Count Jan Wellem on horseback. Wellem was responsible for some major enlargement of the city during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century. With the major sights of Dusseldorf done, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the evening’s festivities.

One of the things that had attracted me to Düsseldorf for New Year’s Eve was it had been described as being a bit more laid back than the UK. Standing shoulder to shoulder in a packed bar, with DJ’s pumping terrible music was not my idea of fun anymore. New Year’s Eve in Dusseldorf was meant to be a friendly affair, often with whole families venturing out to see the New Year in. This simply wouldn’t happen back in the UK. Going out on New Year’s Eve in an average British city would mean dealing with yobs and vomit.

By early evening we were back in the Altstadt, and though the town was alive and kicking, it certainly wasn’t overkill. Bars were not packed to capacity, merely pleasantly full.
101010

Rhine Tower at night. The world's biggest digital clock
No gangs of young adults were wandering around shouting and generally causing a nuisance. It was better than all that. But we did have one problem. Jodie was feeling very ill. Her flu had been getting worse for a few days now, and by 10pm it was clear she wouldn’t be able to last the night. Reluctantly, I finished my last drop of Alt beer and we headed back to the hotel.

“Why don’t you two nip out for a quick drink?” suggested Barbara, Jodie’s mum. We were all milling about in one room staring out of the window as various fireworks started to flash in the night sky. Roy and I were looking out of the window expectantly. “Just make sure you’re back here before twelve.”

Next to me, Jodie nodded. Since returning to the hotel, she’d not looked good. But in an act of chivalry, Roy and I decided it would be best if we left mother and daughter alone for a while. With heavy-hearts and full wallets, we left the room in search of a nearby bar.
We were in luck; a brightly-lit inn just over the road from the hotel looked particularly inviting.
111111

Dusseldorf Gate
Within minutes of entering, two things quickly struck me though. The first was the amount of men in the place. And secondly, the pink straw that came with my drink was an indicator of something slightly amiss. “Roy,” I said. “I reckon this is a gay bar.”
Jodie’s father had a quick scan around and shook his head. “Nah. There’s a couple of women over there. And there’s one too.”

I shrugged. It didn’t matter to me either way. The place seemed nice, and more importantly, the beer was half the nine Euro price tag the hotel had been charging us. Just then Roy tapped me on the shoulder. “I think you were right. Look.” I turned around in time to see two young men at the end of the bar getting very friendly. And there weren’t the only ones.
I smiled, stirring my pint with my pink stirrer. “Everyone probably thinks I’m your toy boy! Ooh you bitch!”

Neither of us cared though. In fact, we got another drink before heading back to the hotel. We arrived back with the girls just in time. As cascades of fireworks bloomed in the sky outside our window,
121212

Frank Gehry Building
we watched a clock chiming on the German TV station we had tuned into. And then 2007 arrived and even Jodie looked relatively chipper.

The next afternoon, flying back to the UK, I considered our city break. Even though Jodie had been under the weather, I’d still really enjoyed Düsseldorf. As a destination, it certainly had a lot to offer. Far more than we could’ve imagined.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

1313
13

Frank Gehry Building
1414
14

Frank Gehry Building
1515
15

The Media Harbour
1616
16

Climbers!
1717
17

Statue of Our Lady, the only surviving religous monument in Dusseldorf
1818
18

Kaufhof Department Store, 1924
1919
19

Wilhelm-Marx House, Germany's oldest skyscraper!
2020
20

Schneider Wibbel
2121
21

Rathaus - the Town Hall


6th January 2007

Danke Schoen!
Very clear and useful! Thanks!
6th January 2007

Thank you. I think it was about time Dusseldorf recieved some good press!
21st January 2009

Most Enjoyable
I enjoyed walking the streets of Dusseldorf with you. I have been there many times in the past and it was a pleasure revisiting with you.
1st August 2011
19

Wilhelm-Marx-Haus Dusseldorf
I like the photo, thank you. But the comments about Dusseldorf "“Düsseldorf? Why go there?” asked certain people when I told them of our plans for New Year’s Eve. “Surely there are better places to go than Düsseldorf?” And that was the problem. Düsseldorf seemed to have a bit of an image problem. I blame Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the hit 1980’s TV program. On screen Düsseldorf was portrayed as a bleak industrial city, certainly not a top destinat ... "" couldn't be more wrong. the city is famous for so much, some of the biggest fairs & exhibitions, the capitol city of the largest state. A fashion city with the most famous shopping mile "the Koe". The longest bar in Europe, the Dusseldorf Altstat and on and on....I wonder were those folks got their info from. Well, it's their loss
25th October 2011

Thank you for this blog! :)
I was born in Düsseldorf and grew up here, and I really love my city. Still, whenever I'm travelling and people ask me, if the city has anything special, I must admit, no, sorry, no impressive monuments or famous sights to mention. But Düsseldorf has many beautiful little spots, museums, exhibitions, music events, you just have to discover you personal 'magic places'. BTW, there's a Mercer study about 'live quality' in which expats vote Düsseldorf repeatedly in the Top 10 - among Zurich, Auckland, Vancouver, Vienna, Sydney ... And I suppose, this is not only because they like the Altbier so much. ;) I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay!
19th August 2021

Top places in Düsseldorf
"Jan, vielen Dank für einen interessanten Artikel! Ich bin durch Zufall auf Ihren Artikel gestoßen, als ich kürzlich Düsseldorf besuchte und nach Artikeln über diese Stadt suchte. Ich kann meine Erfahrungen kurz mitteilen. Meine Freunde und ich sind von Berlin nach Düsseldorf gefahren. Natürlich wollten wir die bedeutendsten Sehenswürdigkeiten der Stadt sehen (Classic Remise, Hetjens Museum, Wildpark Grafenberg :)) Aber wir arbeiten alle im IT-Bereich, also haben wir uns für ein Café oder Büro entschieden, in dem es angenehm ist zu arbeiten. Apropos Cafés, meine Empfehlungen: https://www.instagram.com/rocca_duesseldorf/, The Lox, DOX-Restaurant. Wir haben mehrere Tage in einem Business Center Düsseldorf gearbeitet. Ich empfehle auch einen Besuch: Neuer Zollhof, Gänsebrunnen, Königsallee, Carlsplatz Markt, Rhein, Nordpark; Der Sommer ist eine tolle Reisezeit!"

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb