Karl's Strawberry Land.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Rostock
February 26th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mr. StrawberryMr. StrawberryMr. Strawberry

Me and Fox with Karl's mascot.
Hello and welcome to the first in a series of blogs about Rostock.

I will keep these blogs short and sweet, as to not bore everyone to death.

Rostock is the hometown of my girlfriend, who in order to maintain anonymity I will call Schnecke and her sister who I will call Turtle. Turtle and Schnecke were both born and bred here in Rostock. They live here with their family, studying and working. Me and my best mate Fox met Schnecke and Turtle when they were backpacking around Australia, and in the most unlikely of places, the remote cattle town of Richmond in outback Queensland. What unfolded became one of the best time of my life, two best mates falling for two backpackers which would ultimately see the two of us travelling across the world far from the dusty outback where we all first met.

When we first touched down in Rostock we had a lot of catching up to do, a whole year in fact. A lot happened in the days following our arrival and there was a lot to take in. Meeting the parents and family for the first time in person and being reunited with
Corn mazeCorn mazeCorn maze

Passing throught the Sunflours.
my dog were some of these things. After the dust settled Schnecke and Turtle were keen to show us around some of the attractions of Rostock, and Karl's was one of the first places we went.

Karl's has been operating since 1921, founded by Karl Dahl its has become what I could only describe as a giant red strawberry themed cash cow funland. From its humble beginning as a strawberry farm has sprung a strawberry themed amusement park and vast shopping and gift centre the likes I have never seen before. It will be impossible to explain in any detail everything that Karls has to offer without blowing past a thousand words so I will dramatically summarise.

Rides, mazes, bars, food, soap making, candy making, horse riding, shops that sell everything, the worlds biggest collection of tea pots, ice skating, ice sculptures, rope courses, candle making, bread making putt putt golf and the list goes on. There is a accommodation block of houses next to Karls to help house the army of workers. I can only imagine how much money flows through this place on a daily baise, and entry is free! No money is required to bring the family and take most of the rides and have a great day. The money comes from the merchandises which you are forced to walk through on the way out, but it's not a bad thing, the shop is like a amusement park all in its self.
Free food and wine tasting with robotic character shows along the way, it's really hard to describe, if you visit Rostock you have to visit this place, especially if you have kids!

I've been there three or four times now, and will go back again before I leave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

SchneckeSchnecke
Schnecke

Finding her bearings.
Making candyMaking candy
Making candy

The best part is eating it.
SchneckeSchnecke
Schnecke

Not quiet in her element.
Fox in his elementFox in his element
Fox in his element

Putt putt golf.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb