Wine and Rhine


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Wiesbaden
August 16th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we are back on the road on day three of our European tour. Let’s see now… how about we head away from Amsterdam, Holland, the Netherlands and into Germany. Let’s take a river cruise down the Rhine and spend the night at Wiesbaden…I guess we can do that J

We started the day with our complimentary wake up call and buffet breakfast. These early mornings are starting to catch up with us! We then jumped in the bus and headed to our first stop - Koln - pronounced ‘Cologne‘. It was also our first day doing seat rotation for the bus - it sounds pretty dodgy but it stops some people hogging the good seats and forces you to sit opposite different people every day, which is good. I must admit the front seats are pretty impressive, with full views extending below your feet and above head height (if you were standing). Today, we were in the middle of the bus, and are moving two rows back tomorrow.

Anyway, Koln was an interesting city, with the highlight being a visit to the largest gothic church in Europe. It is huge - not quite as famous as Notradame in Paris, which is 100 years older. We will have t compare the two when we head to Paris later in the tour. One of the attractions for many people to THIS church, contains relics of the three wise men. They had very interesting stained glass windows too - different to any we had seen before.

The highlight of today was definitely the cruise along the Rhine River. A brief history of the Rhine sees it being used as the northern border for the Roman Empire. I can see how is would make a perfect border (in summer), as the river is over 100m across and flows fairly fast. We headed upstream, passing several barges on the way that are almost swamped by the wake they create. The river has been used as a highway for thousands of years - though I’m sure people would have struggled going upstream when the river was flowing like it was today, without engine power. The recent rain over the past few weeks has filled out the flow.

It was quite an eye opener cruising up the river. Every couple of kilometres there was a small town on the river bank below steep cliffs and hills. Scattered near the dozens of towns were castles, sometimes above the towns, and often high on a ridge looking down on the river below. Most of the castles were accessed from the rear, usually via a winding valley, obstructed from view, but leading to a town on the river bank.

The other amazing sight were the vineyards. We didn’t realise Germany made a lot of wine, but the grapevines here covered the steep cliffs, and people were even out preparing the land. It would be bloody hard work picking grapes in this part of the world, as you would have to walk up and down these steep hills…I might be up for it, but I don’t think Chelle would.

We ended our tour at St Goar and stopped for a visit to a Beer Stein tourist shop - with the largest stein in the world (apparently). There were tonnes of cool steins, including a fireman stein, and accountant, engineer and teacher stein…but we weren’t allowed to take any photos. St Goar also has a Cuckoo clock shop with the largest free hanging Cuckoo clock in the world - it’s in the Guinness Book of Records, but it should also be called the lamest Cuckoo clock! As five o’clock came around the display involved a couple of dolls on a turn table… and no Cuckoo bird!

We then continued along the Rhine River and headed to Wiesbaden for our only night in Germany. Germany is a very picturesque country with a lot of ornate buildings and history. Then again, so was the Netherlands - it must be a Europe thing. I guess we will have to check out some more of Europe tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st August 2007

On Skype
Sooo Jealous. Sounds like you are having heaps of fun. Mum and Dad have left with the rugby tickets (such a drama trying to track them down). They were both crazy with excitement before they left, I don't think mum got any sleep. Kell and I already having heaps of fun without them. Will be on skype our time sunday at 5:00pm, waiting on the brownies and parents to call with arrival news. Should have KB, Ryan and granddad with us if you want to call. Search for my netspace email not my qr one. Will have a new puppy next thrusday - pure bred staffy called 'Miss'. Can't wait to see more photo's when you get back.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb