Another Day in Frankfurt


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt am Main
June 11th 2015
Published: June 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Andrew and I decided to stay in Frankfurt today. We have been on the move so much that it was nice to stay in the same place for another day.

Today we toured the Senckenberg Museum of Natural History, which has been collecting specimens for almost 200 years. We spent 4 hours looking at incredible exhibit after exhibit -- several dozen dinosaur skeletons, fossils from the beginning of life on earth through today, Egyptian mummies, geological exhibits, and thousands of taxidermied animals and birds from around the world. It was really cool, and Andrew was in heaven.

Taking advantage of the spectacular weather, we then wandered to Goethe University, where we found a cool open-air market: prepared food booths, produce, baked goods, books, etc. Had a nice lunch of white sausage, soft pretzels, and spicy mustard, followed by chocolate cake and coffee.

We took it easy at the hotel for a couple of hours this afternoon, then took the subway to south Frankfurt for dinner at Adolph Wagner's restaurant. It was a giant place, with huge tables and benches. Andrew and I sat with a Spanish couple and two French guys, but no one really wanted to talk. We both ordered the weiner schniztel, potatoes, and onions, which was out of this world, followed up with apple struedel and ice cream. The struedel was thicker and more heavily seasoned -- less-pastry like -- but still amazing. The waiter spoke almost no English, but Andrew was able to communicate in German, for which I was grateful. What a great place!

After dinner we walked around the surrounding neighborhood. The weather was perfect, and families were going to and from the cafes and ice cream shops as the sun slowly set. We wound up at a park and just sat for a while, listening to the fountain and taking it all in. Even with all of the cool monuments and attractions, the real neighborhoods are the places to be. I'm glad we are finishing our Frankfurt visit on this note.

Tomorrow we head for Brussels. Who knows what we will find...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb