Heide- Park 2012


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Desert Race 23 secs
2: Park From Above 64 secs
3: Scream 13 secs
4: Kraken 22 secs
ColossosColossosColossos

The steepest wooden roller coaster in the world!
We gathered at Hanhoopsfeld School on this beautiful summer morning with great anticipation of what was in store. If anyone was attempting to hide their excitement behind the guise of sleepy eyes, it wasn’t working.

We boarded the charter bus promptly at 9 and were off. An hour later, coming into sight of one of the most amazing theme park spectacles imaginable, we were akin to the Griswold’s arriving at Wally World, though thankfully Heide-Park was actually open! As we the teachers recited the requisite expectations and agreed upon return time, all eyes were no doubt focused not on us, but rather on the “Colossos” looming large and in charge in the background. When the teachers had finished their seemingly never-ending spiel, the students, German and American alike, were off to the rides at speeds even Usain Bolt would be jealous of!

My dedication to this blog, and the desire to get you, the reader, as true and detailed a representation of what is transpiring on a daily basis here in Germany as possible, led me to break a cardinal German theme park rule today… As we exited the “Desert Race” roller coaster and perused the in flight photos, there was Jake Allen, screaming his heart out with a look of sheer terror on his face… and next to him in the front seat was me, totally emotionless and 100% focused on my iPhone, recordng the experience for posterity in video. If you listen closely on the video, you can actually hear Jake. I think he enjoyed the ride! I felt like I was living an iPhone commercial today, snapping pics and shooting video for the blog with it instead of having to lug the bulky DSLR around the park and hamper my coaster riding ability. Thanks also to Chris Cammock who got the footage of the Kraken while the rest of us were busy riding it.

Seven hours goes by completely too quickly on a day like today. Clear skies and comfortable temperatures hanging around in the mid 70’s allowed us to solely focus on the task at hand… bagging as many rides as humanly possible! The lines on this visit really aided in this venture as they were noticably shorter than in past years. Not short mind you, but shorter.

As we met to catch the bus home, the air was buzzing with stories being
CoastersCoastersCoasters

The Brand New For 2012 "Kraken" at left and the "Big Loop" at right
told and unbridled excitement still pouring out. We had thought perhaps that the students would be tired and maybe even sleep for part of the journey home. This was not to be the case however as stories continued to be told, comic shocking pens used on unsuspecting chaperones (not me thank you), and plans for the evening were made.

If you would like more videos of the rides, you can find them on the blog from the last trip HERE

It was great to see so many mixed German and American groups around the park today! It really seems like quality and lasting friendships are being forged!

Tomorrow is an optional day trip into the city for the American students. Many have plans already made with their host families however. Wednesday we will travel to neighboring Bergedorf to take in the small town and castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.618s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.3493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb