Munich to Passau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Passau
August 8th 2015
Published: August 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Alley behind the Dom St StephanAlley behind the Dom St StephanAlley behind the Dom St Stephan

A wonderful alleyway to walk up with fascinating door and windows details
After a very comfortable night in our mini room at Munich we met Neil and Karilyn at the Hauptbahnhof at 10.30. After a nice cool drink and some catching up on their stories from Shanghai and Munich we caught a train to take us to Passau. Unfortunately there is some line work being done and we had to swap to a bus at Landau to take us through to Prattling to another train and onto Passau. It has been one incredibly hot day with the day temperature at 38 degrees and not much cooler at night. The bus wasn't air conditioned or with any air circulation and we cooked! It was very, very uncomfortable until the driver got up some speed and the roof vents did their job. Add to this swollen ankles from the air travel, sore feet, dehydration and a change of time zone and it didn't make a great start to the holiday. Fortunately Passau is a very pretty town and well worth a visit. Linds and I had visited at Christmas time and it is very different. Then, we had Christmas Markets and cold weather, now, we have heat and outdoor lounging.

Our IBB hotel for
Tunnel in narrow cobbled streetTunnel in narrow cobbled streetTunnel in narrow cobbled street

This tunnel leads up from the Donau to the open square on top of the hill
the Rad Reisen biking tour is out of town a bit and it meant getting taxis wherever we went. The price went progressively down as the day went on. The first grumpy guts charged us E9, the second E8.80 and the last Le Mans driver, E7. He literally flew up the hill well above the speed limit! He must have charged by the time rather than the distance.

We spent the day slowly ambling our way through the narrow alleys of the Old Town and eventually down to the Donau where the river tour boats tie up over night. Eventually we got to the convergence of the three rivers, Donau, Ils and Inn and made our way back through town taking in the architecture, looking at shops, checking out churches (of course) and admiring the many lovely views and intricate door ways. Our choice of place for dinner and drinks wasn't the best but the location to watch people was good.

Back at the hotel we sat outside for some time hoping for some cool air. There wasn't any but it did beat being indoors where there are no fans and no air conditioning. That's what you get
A well earned cold beer at the hotelA well earned cold beer at the hotelA well earned cold beer at the hotel

With temps in the high 30's anything cold did the trick. This is outside the hotel in very warm shade
when you choose price over comfort! However the hotel is okay and certainly bigger than the shoe box we had yesterday.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb