Passau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Passau
June 16th 2015
Published: June 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Passau is situated where the Danube, Ilze, and Inn Rivers join together. It is called the Dreifluessestadt (City on Three Rivers) and pronounced "dafjkdfjenfniudndiekj"!(Just Kidding). It's actually quite easy: Drei=three, flues=river, stadt=city. It's a very charming city and one of my favorite although I think they all are! We spent the first part of the day looking around the city. We then went to one of the churches (can't remember the name, it's the one in the pictures with the black decorated altar) to listen to a woman speak about her family history with WWII and post war activity. Her family was forced to move several times even after the war and they lost their farm and home. They had to attend work camps and were shipped on trains all over to different countries. The story was amazing and I don't think there was a dry eye in the church.

We then slowly walked to The St. Stephen's Cathedral which has the biggest organ in the world with 17,774 pipes. The cathedral is absolutely amazing. We stayed for an organ concert. Five minutes would have been good but after more than 30 minutes and bloody ears, we finally left. It was like fingernails down a chalkboard although I think I'm the only one who felt that way.

When we got back to the ship, we sailed to Austria. It was beautiful scenery. It's incredible how many vineyards, churches, castles, and quaint towns are along the rivers and how much history took place in the lush green hills along the rivers. We crossed through more locks/levies with 66 being the total by the time we get to Vienna.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb