Dining on the AmaLyra


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Passau
November 24th 2011
Published: December 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

As I've mentioned before, we are experienced sea cruisers, which is to say, while on a cruise we are used to food every 10 feet and a formal meal every 20 minutes (smile). OK, perhaps that's exagerating a bit, but with the 24 hour revolving door of food on sea liners, we have become accustomed to a certain culinary expectation when we take a cruise. To add to our list of skeptical themes before taking our Ama cruise, we were not expecting too much from the limited space that a river cruise ship would provide to their kitchen staff. We could not have been more wrong.

While it is true, there is no room service or 24 hour kitchen staff on board Ama's ships, the availability and selection of food was impressive. Not only can you find trays of cookies, sandwiches, and other little surprises 24 hours per day in the lounge (along with iced tea, water, hot tea and an impressive bank of coffee makers that churn out complimentary espresso, cappucino, lattes and normal coffee whenever you like) there are many surprises in store each afternoon and evening.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves... let's wake up and go to breakfast!

Upon entering the dining room you'll find a very well laid out buffet with the traditional German fare such as fresh cheeses, delikatessen meats, pate, fruits, müsli and yogurts - add typical American and British breakfast favorites like steamed tomatoes, sausage and bacon, an omellette and fresh egg station, and a large bank of pastry and you have your basic breakfast. But wait, there's more: each day there is a breakfast special and there is also a menu on each table of things you can order from the kitchen like steak and eggs, eggs benedict, waffles, etc. The breads and rolls are what you would expect from Germany and Austria - which is to say, amazing, fresh and hearty.

Not only were we met each day by this amazing array of food, but the smiling faces of the staff welcomed us each morning with two important questions... fresh coffee AND champagne or just champagne? (They knew me well within 24 hours!) As our favorite server, Lazlo was bringing us our coffee, the Maitré D, Daniel, was heading ot the table with 2 glasses and a bottle of German sparkly called "Sekt". After the 3rd day they didn't even ask anymore, it just came.

Lunch each day was a wonderful selection of local specialties, as was dinner. The variety was spectacular as was the quality and taste. Having lived in Germany for the past 12 years and Michael being German, you can imagine that we have very specific tastes when it comes to traditional food. We can confidantly and happily report that every one of our dining experiences on the AmaLyra was exceptional and delicious. On the day we entered Bavaria, for example, we had something called "Frühschoppen" which is kind of like a pre-lunch buffet after church tradition and Ama recreated that on board for their guests: the traditional White Sausage with sweet mustard, amazing pretzels, sauerkraut and Nürnburger sausages were served and were as good as we've ever had. Of course they didn't forget the beer, either! One afternoon we had the most incredible apple strudel to celebrate being near Salzburg. These special touches made everything so nice.

Speaking of beer, we also must report that not only was the food quality very high, but the promise of "free flowing wine and beer" at dinner is not an exageration; it flowed, and flowed, and flowed... to the point that we were the last to leave the dining room each evening and were usually pretty tipsy. Each night Ama offers a different red and white wine from the region that best accompanies the meal. Each selection (and we can honestly say we tried them all) was perfect! They also have good German beer! Soft drinks were also available, but really, why bother? =o)

Ama also has several parties and events where drinks are served complimentary, and they don't just come around once, give you a glass and go. They come through frequently to top you off! They created several special drinks which were served at special moments, for example when we entered the Wachau Valley they came around with a blue drink called The Blue Danube. This happened several times during our cruise.

All in all, you will be quite happy with your dining experience on Ama! What we really want to try is one of their new culinary cruises on the new ships with the open kitchens. All we need now is the time. I smell a new cruise in the works!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



8th January 2012

Hungary in Orlando
This blog certaintly got my hunger up (trying to diet a little). That food looks absolutely delicious. Not only a tour guide but an outstanding food and drink critic as well. As I was reading your blog I was thinking about your Christmas Markets Tour, it is definitely on my bucket list of things to do but probably won’t happen until Bev decides to retire. Hope you keep it as an annual event until we get to join you. Tom

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb