European Odyssey 2009


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
December 15th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We've survived the trip out. Step one accomplished.



Renee and I just stayed up all night on Sunday night, packing away. At 4am we woke the kids up and Jacquelyn drove us up to LAX. We arrived by 6am and so we were right on schedule, since our flight was set for a 8:10am departure.

We made it through check-in, security, and a quick burger king breakfast. Renee had time to chat with a nice pregnant woman on her way from Hawaii to somewhere in Texas. The plane was a little late, but we made it to Dallas, rode the Skyway Tram around a bit and made it to our flight to Frankfurt with about 10 minutes to spare. The flight to Frankfurt was on the brand new 777! Nice! We boarded at 2:30pm, flew for 9 hours, and arrived in Frankfurt at 7am the next day (who needs sleep anyway?) Carter, unfortunately got motion sickness (not unusual) and threw up some. I was asleep at the time, so I'm taking Renee's word for it! (Okay, it was pretty clear he did throw up, but no one really want's to know those details).

Once we landed we grabbed all of our luggage (or so we thought) and headed out to look for the train station. We were following the signs around and were ready to abandon our luggage cart when we ran into an airport worker. He was collecting the luggage carts and I commented that we had another one to give him, when he asked where we were heading. We chatted for a bit (auf Deutsch) and I learned he was from Afghanistan, and then he kindly showed us a short cut to the train station!

While waiting for the train, which was about 25 minutes late, an older gentleman asked me for help. He and his wife were visiting their daughter who lives near Dortmund. They weren't quite sure which train to be on or which track, or which class. I showed them how to figure it all out and the guy literally grabbed my arm and said, "Thank goodness you speak English! I'm not letting go of you till we get on the train!". Ha, once I explained that all of the train conductors speak English, he relaxed (and let go of my arm).

Our train was an ICE (Inter-City Express), which
LAXLAXLAX

I just thought this looked cool!
are always, clean, fast and super nice. It was somewhere on the ride east that Renee and I were commenting on how easy it was traveling, even with all of our luggage, when we realized that we didn't actually have all of our luggage! Oops! We left our stroller at the Franfurt airport. Well, it was too late to go back, we'd have to try and pick it up later. The rest of the train ride from Frankfurt to Nuernberg was easy, except for the part where Renee and I fell asleep and when we woke up we weren't sure if we missed our stop! All was okay, though. At Nuernberg we switched to a regional train and arrived in Erlangen about 20 minutes later. Timmo and her friend Judith were there to pick us up and cart us to Timmo's house! Ahhh,... safe and sound at Timmo's. After an excellent pizza lunch, we all fell asleep for a nap; boy was it hard to get up!

So, it's Tuesday night (it became dark at like 4:30pm!) and now we're trying to rally to hit the Christmas Market (Christ Kindl Markt) in Erlangen. We're really just trying to stay
Flying puppyFlying puppyFlying puppy

Somebody's dog is about to go for a ride!
awake till later so we can try to get to local time. Carter is doing well, but Camille is so tired, everything makes her cry, poor little one. Once she gets enough sleep she'll be better.

Bye for now, greetings from Deutschland!! Tschuss!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Security CheckpointSecurity Checkpoint
Security Checkpoint

Nice architecture at LAX. This is waiting in line for the security check
Two HamsTwo Hams
Two Hams

If you can't tell, they're each trying to push the other out of the picture.
A jetA jet
A jet

But not ours...
DallasDallas
Dallas

The sign showing our destination from Dallas
FrankfurtFrankfurt
Frankfurt

We made it!
Tadaa!Tadaa!
Tadaa!

Camille trying on just a few of Timmo's belts!


17th December 2009

Very cool
You are a great writer...it's like I'm there. Keep up on the updates! And pictures! We want pictures!
20th December 2009

Living vicariously
Dear Sanshus: great to watch you in action! Great pictures. Tell the children hello for me. Give my regards to Timo and her family. Thanks Renee for sending me this link. Love, Mom

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb