Innradweg Day 5 to Muhldorf


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Muhldorf
September 6th 2018
Published: September 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

What a day! There were hills galore, signs missing, it was cold, then it was hot, and I'm pretty knackered after 50kms of that.

We left Wasserburg in a cool fog blanketing the hills around the river. Likely as not, this is a common occurrence in the valley. It soon burned off and we were in bright sunshine for the rest of the way.

To start we went steeply uphill to get up onto the plateau above the town in the bend of the river. From here we cruised up and over farms, farmlets and forest. The farms were dairying and maize cropping. Huge combine harvesters were mowing and husking the maize into large articulated trucks for carting away. Notable is the absence of fences so that the farmland looks green and sweeping along with lots of forest which was being harvested. The foresters were cleaning up after the cutting by mulching all the remaining branches. No slash being left to cause problems here.

Our route took us down to the river for some of the way, through quite a lot of forest but mostly it was through farms and villages. The signage wasn't great in one area
Muhldorf main streetMuhldorf main streetMuhldorf main street

The building are all painted in pastel colours and look really good. The fountain in the street is dated at 1627.
and we suspected that perhaps some signs had been removed as we couldn't fathom the route. Three times we had to ask locals how to get back on track. We kept on meeting the Canadians and they too had problem with directions.

However we did all eventually arrive at our destination. The route was once again very beautiful but those hills constantly being encountered were killers. For me anyway. EBikes would have been perfect for today.

Muhldorf is another medieval town but not as pretty as the others encountered so far. The main street is wide but packed with cars which doesn't make it look so good. It was another of the towns bombed by the Allies in WW2 to disrupt the rail service to Munich. We rewatered ourselves with a Radler and a gelato and had a wander around the town to see what we may like for dinner and to checked out bakeries for lunch tomorrow. Finding food places in the small towns along the way is proving to be rare. Our very old hotel is right on the main street which is handy although it doesn't have a bar and restaurant which is unusual.

All in all, a good day, but a tiring one. One that we could note for steep hills, getting lost and sore bums.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb