Marktredwitz: charming little Bavarian town


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Marktredwitz
August 1st 2013
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nothhaft BreweryNothhaft BreweryNothhaft Brewery

Half a litre equal to $3.50!
We stopped here because otherwise the train trip from Leipzig to Pilsen (Czech Republic) would have been too long. We are so glad we decided to stay here. It is a town of about 18,000 with a charming main street and a historic city hall dating from 14th century. Our hotel room is directly opposite the town hall tower and behind that the 13th century bell tower of St. Batholomaus can be seen. Bells ring at 7 in the morning and 7 in the evening but they sound friendly and not too loud.

Our hotel has many sides to it. Not only has it rooms, but also a coffee shop with home made cakes, a restaurant, a reception room and a bowling alley in the basement. It has been in business since 1928. There are lovely tables and chairs outside where you can sit and watch the citizens of the town stroll slowly by. Our first afternoon we noticed a huge gathering of tables of middle to elderly women eating cake and drinking and chatting amiably in the hotel's coffee shop. They sat all afternoon. The following day I left Greg in a bar while I went and had a look at the department store which is right next to our hotel. When I went to the bar to meet him there was a huge contingent of the town's middle to elderly men drinking, playing cards and chatting amiably! Good idea, we thought, the women all gather at one place whilst the men meet at another. Then they meet up and go home happily.

We had a very relaxing time in Marktredwitz. Sometimes places you decide to visit because it makes it easier to get to somewhere else end up being very memorable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb