Day 7 - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Füssen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
May 10th 2014
Published: May 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the neat little town of Rothenburg we headed on the Autobahn down towards Füssen (243km) our next overnight stop intending to stop at Landsberg am Lech for a single purpose, for Pam to photograph a weir across the river. Another nice town and once Pam got the shots we had a quick walk around, had the inevitable coffee and headed south again. The next stop was the Weiskirche a very famous church built in the Roccoco style circa 1700, arriving at the church we had a look inside and the ceiling frescoes are quite stunning, leaving the church we could not quite make out the actual church with a photo we had of it, thinking oh well must just be a perspective thing we headed off. A few kms down the road we found a sign to the Weiskirchke and the penny dropped, we saw the wrong church, so another side trip ensured and we did end up finding the right church and stunning it was. The money that got spent on churches in the past centuries in this neck of the woods is unbelievable. Heading direct to Füssen now we arrived after driving up past the castles to do a “recce run’ for the next day. Our hotel is in the very centre of town with no vehicle access, so borrowing a local Dr’s parking space we ran up the street to find the hotel and get instructions as to where to park We were told that they had no parking left so we had to park in a parking building always down the road. After spending 20 mins trying to find the entrance to the car park we eventually did find it and packed the car away and lugged the cases up the street. Our intentions were to head up to the castles first thing before the tourists arrived and drive to Innsbruck in the afternoon. We took a wander around town for the evening and decided on a place to eat, settled down in the outside chairs, placed our order and then told we had to move inside, “you vill move inside NOW’ our waiter advised us in no uncertain terms, it turns out that this is a council rule and all tables are to be removed before 8.30pm. Füssen is a dead boring town, no one around and nothing to do except the castles, give it a miss on a trip and do the castles on a day trip from Munich and save yourself a heap of time and money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb