Winter Arrives as We Travel South


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
December 23rd 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Traveling to Fussen



From Munich we headed west to get back on the Romantic Road and thus head south. We started by heading to Augsburg which is one of the larger cities on the Romantic Road. After about an hour of driving we were dead in the middle of Augsberg and had realized that Augsburg was a pretty drab place. Thus, our time in Augsburg was only as long as it took us to drive in and then out again.

The trip from Augsburg to the next town on the Romantic Road only took about a half hour. We found ourselves in a quaint little town called Landsberg. Landsberg is located directly on a river and has a beautiful old town that was full of shoppers since today was the last Christmas shopping day in Germany.

We parked across the river and walked over to the old town. It was bone chilling cold because of the wind whipping across the water and the fact that we were getting closer to the mountains. Lunch time had drawn nigh so we headed into town searching for a place to eat. After perusing a large part of the old town we settled on a small restaurant with a bakery. Kel had some great broccoli cream soup and a salad which I had a couple of sausages.

With food in our belly and the sites of Landsberg fresh in our mind, we jumped back in the car hoping to head to our final destination for the day, Fussen.

Winter Arrives…or rather We Arrive in Winter

After only 20 minutes of driving the landscape completely changed. From the rolling hills and fields of the Danube river valley we arrived in the mountains and snow of the Tyrolean part of Germany. Literally one minute the fields were green and the next there was snow, frost and mountains. It was awesome and made us completely happy we had decided to head this way for Christmas.

As we approached town we saw castles in the hills (I’m sure you’ll see pictures of these later in our stay) and mountains surrounding the town. We immediately went into town and checked into our hotel. After check in we were chomping at the bit to head out into town and see some snow; so, off we went.

We walked around town and admired the mix of classic German and Tyrolean architecture and were in awe at the crisp air and beautiful mountains. When driving in we had passed some fields so we moved in that direction in hopes of getting some good pictures and getting a chance to walk through some snow.

After a half hour of moving through town we reached the outskirts and got our chance to walk in the snow and admire the view. This is such a beautiful area and is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to sights we’ll see on our way into Austria.

Hope everyone’s Christmas shopping is done. Tomorrow Germany celebrate Christmas so everything will be shut down here but I’m sure some of you will be busy shopping for last minute gifts tomorrow. Enjoy the crowds…!!!

Merry Christmas!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



25th December 2006

Merry Xmas
Hope you two are having a cosy and beautiful Xmas. love, beth

Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 94; dbt: 0.2173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb