A diversion from Salzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bergkirchen
July 15th 2013
Published: July 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

BLOG #3 A DIVERSION FROM SALZBURG




Well, we are in Berchtesgaden Land. We chose a campsite that indicated that it was an excellent place from which to visit Salzburg with a bus stop within 200m. We gathered all the information, guest cards, etc. about the local points of interest and after 3 days, we have not even attempted Salzburg. The weather has been crystal clear and chilly at night and warm for daytime walking, hiking.
Our first excursion was to Konigssee, the cleanest lake in Germany. Situated at the base of towering rock faces, a ferry ride to the St. Bartholoma pennisula shows the height of waterfalls, and as the captain of the boat plays a trumpet, the echos are phenomenal. As we returned to the dock and explored the base of the Jennerbahn mountain area, we decided to return the next day to ride the cable-car to the 18oom. mountain top lookout and restaurant.
Weekend bus schedules are a little tricky and after waiting for some time for a bus that never appeared, we hopped on our motor scooter and arrived for an early trip up on the oh-so-quiet cable car that took us in 2 steps to the top at 1800 m. Well, not exactly the top. To say we had done that , we had to climb a narrow, pathway about another 200 m. up and have photos to prove it. Hikers do this on pathways that are winding at altitudes that would amaze.
Coming down from the top of the Jenner Mountain, we decided to visit Berchtesgaden and just missed a folk festival for honoring the local traditions with al of the traditional dress and music. We joined in at a local restaurant for a typical Bavarian pork meal. Flexibility with our scooter enabled us to visit the Maria Gern Chapel, that has historical roots well before the Hitler era.
To really understand how the Eagles Nest (named by the American Army) was developed, the immensity, the height that it stands and the difficulty to access this peak at 1834 m., a trip up the 3 step bus ride is essential. The entire structure and access road was built in 13 months and cost the National Socialist party 30 million Reichmarks. The access and private road that winds up the final 6 Km, to the Kehlsteinhaus is a wonder of construction and the documentation of the slave labor that effectively built it is well documented.
We have decided after our four nights here that our trip to Salzburg is not to be for us on this trip and tomorrow we head thru Austria to Slovenia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb