Kehlstein (Eagle's Nest), Rossfeldpanoramastrasse, and Getting Lost in Salzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Berchtesgaden
August 16th 2011
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we went down for breakfast only to see a parking police putting tickets on all the cars parked on the street (about two cars away from ours). I ran outside to move our car and she came over and said something in German that had something to do with me not being allowed to park there (even though there are NO signs saying that). She let me move the car and the owner of the B&B gave me a card to put in the window so I wouldn’t get a ticket. If you go to Oberammergau, there are NO free places to park in the city, so make sure you get a plaque so you don’t get an extra souvenir from your stay. Another guest was still trying to fight the ticket when we left an hour later.

We walked around Oberammergau for a little while although there really isn’t much to see here. The church, however, is AMAZING on the inside. The buildings are also very pretty. I just can’t even imagine thousands of people crowding this area for the Passion Play. It must be insane.

Next we drove to Kehlstein, near Berchtesgaden, about 2 ½ hours from Oberammergau. Kehlstein (also known as Eagle’s Nest), was a gift from the Nazi party to Hitler on his 50th birthday. He only went here about 14 times, which is probably part of the reason it is still standing. It’s expensive for the roundtrip bus ride (15,50 euro per person), but the elevator ride through the mountain is pretty cool and the view from the top is beautiful (probably even better if you get up there on a fog-free day… we didn’t). The building is now a restaurant but the original fireplace is inside.

There is also a documentation center near where the buses pick up where you can watch a video about the Third Reich and see remnants of a bunker. Although I’ve heard this is worth seeing, we were a little short on time and didn’t want to pay the additional 3 euro after paying so much for the bus. So, we moved on and drove to the nearby Rossfeldpanoramastrasse, a circular scenic road that takes you through the mountains with some places along the way to stop and hike or take pictures. It’s a short drive and costs 8,40 euro to drive through. We kind of rushed through it because we wanted to get to Salzburg.

Heading back on the road toward Salzburg, we missed the A1 two times before finally ending up on the right road. Once we got into Salzburg, we then got turned around looking for our hotel (even with a GPS and printed directions… sigh) but got there after a quick stop at a petrol station to ask for help. We checked in at the Best Western Hotel Imlauer and then parked the car. It was a relief to dump the car off for a few days. You definitely do NOT need a car in Salzburg.

We walked down our street and found a place to eat outside, the Fruhstuck im Shakespeare. I had Wienerschnitzel und Pommes and Wieselburger Bier and then we called it a night.

Tomorrow we do a walking tour of Salzburg!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DinnerDinner
Dinner

Schnitzel, fries, and beer
Toilet at Fruhstuck im ShakespeareToilet at Fruhstuck im Shakespeare
Toilet at Fruhstuck im Shakespeare

I love an interesting toilet... and I always seem to find them in Austria. Hmm...


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb