More medieval buildings in Bamberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bamberg
July 27th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.8942, 10.8855

Bamburg is a UNESCO heritage site as it was fortunate to avoid the bombings during the war so still contains a lot of original medieval buildings. It is situated on 7 hills just like Rome each with a church on top and is on the Main River near its confluence with the Regnitz River. Its town hall is actually built in the middle of the river and is painted with a huge fresco on the side, part of which is built out to give a 3D effect. We started in the main square containing a large statue of Neptune and then crossed over the river by the town hall. An original slaughter house still exists on the river as well as some very pretty fisherman's houses. Emperor Henry II made Bamburg the centre of the Holy Roman Empire in 1007 and he founded the cathedral and abbey. Later on during the Baroque period the ruler decided that the houses would have to be modernised from the Tudor style to Baroque style. As this was expensive to do, the locals got around it by just changing the facade of the buildings looking onto the main street. At a junction with a side street you can see the original Tudor building at the side. Bamberg is also famous for its smoked beer, which I confess we did not try but luckily we were in a bar when it suddenly threw it down with rain.

We had left the ship up the river and it sailed down to meet us. We were also a bit late getting back but all the staff were out to greet us coming back "home".


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



29th July 2014

looks like you guys are having quite the cruise - lots of very pretty scenery, way more really old buildings than I'd expected and plenty of German beer. How's the food? Any good German red wine? And how're you guys doing in the trivia b
usiness?I did love the pic's of you sailing up the Wachau - mainly because I pronounced it a little differently.Sail on - keep well

Tot: 0.49s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb