Bavaria here we come!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Ulm
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 30, 2008

We have now left Texel on a beautiful sunny morning with promises of being 30C today. The short ferry ride to Den Helder was scenic and very busy for the 10am crossing. No reservations are needed and you only pay when going the other direction. From there we found our way across the top part of Northern Holland and then down about half way of the Wadden Zee and then crossed a dike of 30km with water on both sides with a draw bridge on either end to let the tall boats and barges thru. We had to stop on the east end as the bridge was open to let a sailboat with a tall mast thru. From there we travelled along the west side of and through a new province that was not there 20 years ago! There are no old buildings but with modern architecture. Some of the street signs are names of artists - Picaso, Micheangelo, and others Disney Characters, and Dances. We drove on the autoban crossed over the non existent border, because of the European Union, into Germany and exited to the town of Wessel where we stayed in a very old hotel. It was extremely quiet except for the mooing of a cow and some neighing of horses.

250 year old Hotel outside of Wessel



Lock after the 30km dike



July 31, 2008

We continued the next day towards Koln, Germany to see the cathedral. It is hard to figure imagine the size of this church even by standing beside it. It is quite something. Started in 1248 and gradually built until 1520 then stopped. The building was finally completed in 1842-80. The Church of Assumption of Mary is Baroque and absolutely gorgeous. When we got there very little people were in the church but a man was singing filling the whole church with sound because the acoustics are so incredible. It was quite amazing to hear him. We then continued east towards Frankfurt, just skirted around it, then headed to towards Wurzburg. We got off the A3 and headed north to the B6. This is still a main road but only one lane in each direction. Our idea was to find a Gaust Haus to spend the night in another quiet town. Well for $29 Euros (per person a night including breakfast and taxes) as we need two rooms (The kids are cheaper as they don’t have a toilet in there room) we spend the night. We head to the next town for dinner as there is a festival going on - bratwurst and a bun, potato salad, some other wurst and something called wurst salat (meat salad, sliced meat with pickled onions and pickles). We head for home for a quiet evening. Temperature again today 32C. We now have travelled 1621 km.

st Marys Church



Its hot!



Old Church in Limburg



Town of Reichenbach




Aug 1-08

We get up, and head to breakfast and I think we were the only people who stayed at the hotel last night. We make our way towards Wurzburg but stop at Karlstad first to walk around. There are ruins on an old castle up on the hill and many signs of an old fortress of a town that we walk around in. We continue our adventure by passing Wurzburg and taking an old country road again. The country side has turned into more farm land again with corn and wheat growing and it has now more rolling hills. We end up in Nordlingen which is a walled citied. We took a stroll on the wall which still encircles the town today along with 7 other towers that are still standing, goign through a tower is the only way to enter the old part of the city.

Landscape along the Main River



View of Nordlingen from the Danial Church Tower



You figure it out???????






Advertisement



2nd August 2008

Fun and Adventure
Really enjoying your updates and photos. Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Say hi to all the family for us.
4th August 2008

You tell me what the sign Says...
So....what do you do when the signs contradict themselves? I am thinking some poor adjuster somewhere thinks the world is out to get them! Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves. Enjoy! Talk to you soon! Barb

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb