Konstanz


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Konstanz
September 6th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Konstanz is in Southern Germany on a huge lake (Lake Constance), that is in three countries: Switzerland, Germany and Austria. I arranged to meet three of my friends from Peru there and have a little reunion. Sebastian lives there and we stayed at his place. He met me from the station and we had some lunch, then went to meet Marlene (who I already went to see in Trier earlier in my trip), then later on Astrid arrived, on a boat from Austria.

It was great to see them all! We walked around the old town, pretty old streets and a huge cathedral, the beautiful lake stretching into the horizon with the huge statue of a prostitute on the pier, which turns around so you can see her from all angles. Great symbol for a city! That evening we went to eat thai food, and went for a walk to a nearby village, along the Rhine. it is funny because you walk to the end of Sebastian's street and you are suddenly in Switzerland! He says it is annoying because people from the Swiss side shop at his local shop and they always want tax back so it takes ages in the queues! After that we went back to Sebastians to watch a film and chill for a bit, and then headed out to a club with cool chilled, kind of Latin music.

In the morning we got up late and had a lovely breakfast, then got in Sebastian's Mini and headed for the island. It was a gorgeous hot day and the island was packed with tourists. But there is so much to see on there it was fine. We went to an exhibition about energy, which Sebastian had a part in making. He showed us a solar panel and what happens if you put your hand over one panel; the energy goes down so much, so you have to make sure it is clear of leaves and things all the time. The exhibition was huge, in all these bubble air tents dotted around, it took quite a while to look around them all!

We went to a butterfly garden, which was great because we saw some butterflies we recognised from the jungle in Peru. But there were so many people in there it was crazy, they really should have a limit! The gardens outside were really beautiful and we walked around for ages. There was a huge waterfall that went down the hill and into the lake, loads of rose plants and other well tended gardens, and a small zoo with goats! It was so peaceful and lovely to see.

That evening we brought a picnic and went to the Rhine for a swim. It was freezing but so refreshing! We just stayed on the side of the river, ate our picnic and sunbathed, very relaxing! Astrid lost the cap of her camera and asked a man on the seat where she was sat earlier. He had thrown it in the bin! So this poor old man took everything out of the bin to find it for her! Bless him! We went home for a shower and then went to a beach bar on the Rhine where a band was playing. They finished pretty early so we walked along the river for ages. While we were on the bridge we could see fireworks in the distance so watched them for ages. We sat for a while in what Sebastian called the expensive part of town, with a great view of the lake. But there were loads of drunk teenagers around! Some of whom decided to go for a late night swim in the lake!

In the morning we went for breakfast in a really lovely cafe that sells the furniture as well as food! The ladies toilets were really interesting because the toilet door has a window in it, but when you lock the door the clear window turns milky and opaque! Marlene had to leave just then, to go back to her parents place near Munich. Astrid wanted a picture of Sebastian and I in front of the prostitute statue so we did that, then I got on the train back to Switzerland.

Unfortunately my card has messed up so I can't put photos on right now of this blog! I will when I get home though!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb