Color Run, Masks and BBQ


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Haigerloch
July 14th 2016
Published: July 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

As an ASB adviser, I feel that I understand the pressures that those involved in planning events for large groups are under. We want things to go perfectly in order to maximize the enjoyment for those who are taking part. So, when I awoke to the sound of thunderous rain pounding against the windows this morning, my heart sank. I could imagine our fellow exchange teacher Jutta, stressed and depressed as the rain washed away months of hard work and effort put forth by her class to plan the all school color run. I hoped beyond all hope that this would blow over and we could at least have a wet and muddy event as opposed to cancelling. There was no plan B, no window for a makeup. It simply had to happen today, there was no other option.

Karma smiled upon Jutta and Haigerloch School today, perhaps for being such great hosts for the American students. The skies cleared, the ground dried unfathomably quickly, and we ran! It was a brilliant event full of smiles and new friends. Our kids helped to set up and clean up. Some ran in the race while others helped at the color stations. Everyone had a blast and were grateful to take part. Every student is the proud owner of a now very colorful shirt and yet more fun memories.

This afternoon we traveled to a neighboring village to learn about local mask making. Every village in southern Germany is the proud home of stories and legends passed down through the generations. Quite similar to the popular fairy tales and myths, every village has their own traditions that go along with them. Consequently, each village holds festivals and carnivals to celebrate them, and most typically to hasten the departure of winter and the onset of spring. Masks are always a big part of these traditions. Today, we were afforded the opportunity to listen to one of the best mask makers in all of Germany. He takes orders from around the world and creates the best wooden masks you will find anywhere. He spoke to the group about just how he creates such phenomenal pieces of wearable art, as well as a bit about their history in the region. It was an incredibly interesting presentation!

Following the educational event, we strolled though the small hilltop village, enjoying the quaint locale, on our way to a rural park nearby. Vast expanses of rolling farmland and wild grasslands, with small red roofed villages dotting the landscape in the distance, made for an incredible place for a BBQ dinner. Even tomorrow's destination, Hohenzollern Castle, adorned a prominent hilltop in the distance, its medieval magnificence quickly catching the eye. Bratwursts were hand BBQ'ed over an open fire which provided a very tasty dinner for all. Our kids had a blast playing soccer, enjoying the playground equipment, or just hanging out and talking with their friends. It proved to be an ideal cap to the day.

Once again, it was so great to see the groups mix so freely and naturally! It is an absolute joy to witness. Tomorrow will be a highlight of the trip as we visit one of the jewels of Germany, Hohenzollern Castle, which is right in our own backyard. It promises to be yet another great day!

Be sure to scroll down for many more pictures from today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb