Heading to Saillans


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes
July 28th 2008
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up and got ready for our 406 km drive to the east and Saillans. This is a place we have always loved and our friends, François and Marie-France, have always welcomed us warmly and graciously and so we were excited to visit them again, I was there the last time 5 years ago but ken hasn't been in 12 years! We were very excited to be heading that way! We programmed in the fastest route on the GPS and we were off. Most of the way we were on toll motorways (péages) and the speed limit was 130. Except for a couple of MAJOR traffic jams - one just before Lyon and the other outside of Valence - we had smooth sailing. The last one, outside Valence was the most vexing because it was about 15 km from the exit and it took us a LONG time to get to the exit! Once we were off the tollway we drove easily into Crest and had a bite to eat before reaching Saillans just 20 km further down the road. Crest is an ancient town with "le plus haut donjon dans l'Europe" (the highest keep in Europe). We didn't go visit it because it was VERY hot (about 32C) and we'd seen it a few times before. One thing we noticed, thought, is how much the region has grown and prospered. Part of the reason for the growth is the new TGV train that travels through the region. We arrived at François and Marie-France's at about 4 pm and we warmly welcomed, as always! Their young grandson, Mattis (4), has been spending the summer with his grandparents and enjoying every moment of it! He is a lovely little boy....smiling, friendly and very well-behaved! Marie-France is a wonderful cook and she made us a lovely dinner of peas and carrots and pork roast. We had a nice aperitif of Clariette de Die before dinner and a nice regional wine with dinner. Of course, we also had dessert of cheese and some ice cream, too! We chatted for a while and then headed up to bed for the night. I am including the few photos I took from the car. One is of the mountain range behind Le Fort (F and M-F's house) that they call Le Nez because it looks like the profile of Charles De Gaulle!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Le FortLe Fort
Le Fort

Front
Le FortLe Fort
Le Fort

Other side front


28th July 2008

I often wonder if ....
every outcropping of rock doesn't remind someone of some famous figure in hisory. lol
29th July 2008

Lyon
Interesting trivia note: In my "band" the married couple who plays mandolin and banjo have a daughter who lives in Lyon, France. The daughter is married with two children and will be visiting the USA in August.

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb