Bonjour from Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon » Le Bois D'Oingt
September 25th 2012
Published: September 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour from Lyon



Tonight is our last night in Lyon; we have been here since Sunday about lunchtime. Just a short visit – neither of us has been here before. We have such a silly reason for being here really; last time we were in here, we met an Australian couple from Queensland who had been to Lyon and they raved about the place, so here we are.



Our arrival on Sunday was not auspicious; the train station does not really cater for people with lots of luggage. In French lots of luggage is called “beaucoup baggage”, and we have become accustomed to reminding cab drivers and hotel staff that we have “beaucoup baggage”. Unsettling also about the train station were the beggars that were out in force on Sunday. Our hotel is in the centre of the city and on Sunday there was a rollerblading race event around the city square on which the hotel sits, that went all afternoon, preventing access to the hotel for 2 people with “beaucoup baggage”; it was a considerable walk to the hotel and adequate punishment for the sin of too much luggage. The city square is in the process of extensive remodelling and it does not do the city justice. The city plans to have the work done in time for the Christmas festival which commences in late November.



Two rivers dominate Lyon, the Rhone River and the Saone River, our hotel and the centre of the city sit sandwiched between the 2 rivers. The old city which sits on the banks of the Saone River is dominated by the Basilica which dominates all views of the city in that direction. Lyon has its origins in the 1st to 3rd century AD and there are Roman ruins in the city area. The old city typically is divided into 3 districts all relating to the churches in the area, Saint John, Saint George and Saint Nizier. To the outsider at least it all appears to be lots of small alleyways and streets, endless stairways and tiny shops, restaurants and houses. We visited the church of Saint John which is the home of the bishop of Lyon and its astrological clock and the church of St George which is a much more plain church.



A funicular railway leads to the top of the hill which has the Basilica as the main building although there are others of course. The Basilica sits on a site that has been the site of worship since the 1st century AD, although the Basilica itself is only about 130 years old, which is young by European standards. We have no photos of the Basilica as she is undergoing extensive restoration work. The Basilica is renowned for its mosaics on walls and floors and the restored mosaics on the wall were awe-inspiring. We have some views of the city of Lyon from the Basilica for you.



Today, we have spent the day in and around the city and wandered through the flower and produce market which is on the banks of the Saone River.



We leave for Avignon, tomorrow morning for a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb