Shopping, But Alas Not at a Market


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
August 10th 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

ChamonixChamonixChamonix

View over Chamonix from the Plan Praz path
What a difference a day makes. After the peaks being lost in cloud for the last few days, it was completely clear this morning. What a shame that we didn't get any views when we went for our walk yesterday, although it was still a great walk and actually, with my wife not liking heights, not being able to see very far was probably a blessing in disguise.

The sun is out and it is considerably warmer than it has been, although still not as hot as when we first arrived, before the weather turned. It's a lot more comfortable - just right for us.

We had decided that today would be a chilling day, so not pressure to do anything particularly. My wife and I walked to the supermarket to stock-up on supplies. The little supermarkets in the centre of town are all very convenient, but they're very expensive so we decided to walk to the Carrefour supermarket just on the edge of town. We had driven past it a few times, but when walking we went in completely the wrong direction, but we found it eventually.

According to what we had read, there is a market
SunsetSunsetSunset

The light of the sunset on the mountains
in Chamonix every Saturday, however if there was one, it was not anywhere near the centre of the town. We couldn't see anything that resembled a market anywhere.

Once we were all stocked-up from the supermarket, we relaxed back at the apartment for a while and had lunch. Whilst the others went to the swimming pool, I decided that I would go for a walk to take advantage of the clear sky and try and get some photographs. I walked up the path from Plan Praz, obviously not the full way given that it's 1,000 meters higher than Chamonix - just high enough to get some decent views.

There was the most stunning sunset. Not the sunset itself, as we couldn't see that behind the mountains, but rather the colours of the light reflected off Mont Blanc and the other snow covered peaks. I took some photographs, but they really didn't do it justice however.

Chamonix is all very happening on a Saturday evening. We went out for our evening meal quite late by our standards, but it seemed it was the time when most people go out to eat here. In fact the first couple of place we went to were full. Everywhere is busy again now that the rain has gone, and everyone was sitting outside to eat again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 79; dbt: 0.2897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb