Where Have All The Mountains Gone?


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
August 7th 2013
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Gorges de la DiosazGorges de la DiosazGorges de la Diosaz

A waterfall along part of the gorges
According to our well planned itinerary, we were going to go to the top of the mountain today in the cable-car, however after a night of thunderstorms and rain like you couldn't imagine , we woke up to the mountains disappearing into the clouds and yet more rain. A rethink was required, as it would be silly to go up there when we would be lucky to be able to see a few feet, let alone enjoy the panoramic views of Mont Blanc and the surrounding area.

After a quick croissant-run (always the hunter-gatherer, regardless of the weather), we decided to pull forward some other activities and save the cable-car for a day when it was clear.

We decided to first go to the Gorges de la Diosaz. These gorges were strikingly similar to the Krimmler Wasserfall (Drowned Rats But At Least We Had Some Coats On), which we visited whilst we were in Austria. It was raining that day as well, but at least this time we'd come prepared with some raincoats, so we didn't need to do an emergency diversion to a shopping centre to buy some.

It's about 1.3km to the furthest point that can be reached at the top of the gorges, and
Not a Day For ViewsNot a Day For ViewsNot a Day For Views

The overcast morning meaning we need to rethink our plans
the round-trip takes about an hour and a half. It wasn't too strenuous, but obviously coming back down was a lot easier than going up. They had apparently wanted to extend the path further, but Mother Nature had other ideas.

Luckily for us, the rain seemed to hold-off whilst we were walking, however as soon as we exited the shop back at the start of the walk, it was teeming down again and we got soaked just walking back to the car.

On the way back, we came to the motorway exit that lead to the Mont Blanc Tunnel. We decided that it would be fun to pop across to Italy, simply because we could, however when we got to the approach to the tunnel the queue to get through was 3/4 of an hour (and presumably about the same again coming back) so we decided against it.

Instead we went to the bowling ally for a game - again it was very expensive compared to what we're used to back home.

We are planning to go to Switzerland tomorrow, but after today we will need to keep an open mind and see what the options
Gorges de la DiosazGorges de la DiosazGorges de la Diosaz

The top of the gorge - at least as far was the path is concerned
the weather gives us in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb