Walking Holiday to France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
August 7th 2006
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Made for walking

Trying to plan a walk in the countryside was a daunting task when I first went on a holiday to France some years ago, as the landscape is criss-crossed by a myriad of hunting tracks, ancient foot and wagon routes and forest access paths.

There was a network of Grand Randonees - long-distance, linear footpaths distinctively signed by red-and-white stripes - but these were of little help if you wanted to explore a local area on foot.

In recent years, however, the French have really taken to rambling and today you can visit a Tourist Information centre in almost any area and leave with armfuls of free leaflets detailing walks around the vicinity. What’s more, these are usually really well way-marked, come in a variety of lengths and often include items of local interest, such as old buildings or interesting features in the landscape.

There’s no better way of getting to know the intimate details of an area; why not plan a two-centre vacation, booking French holiday homes in contrasting regions? If you enjoy mid-distance walks of medium challenge, suitable for all ages, I would personally recommend the following areas: the relatively unspoilt Auvergne in the centre of France, the Lot, the Drome, Provence , the Massif des Maures (Riviera), the Luberon (Provence) and the foothills of the Pyrenees (Basque country).

Research an area which interests you via the Internet, or a reputable guide book, and when you’re ready to choose a property, try a company like Chez Nous where you book direct with the owner; this way you’ll be able to find out more about the accommodation and locality by dealing personally with the proprietor, who will often be English.

So, next time you vist France be sure to pack a stout pair of shoes or boots; in my experience, it’s a country whose landscape and history is best discovered on foot.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb