A Night in Gordes


Advertisement
Published: August 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Our instinct was right and there wasn't any internet acces in Gordes so two blogs will follow - yesterdays and todays.

After packing up and getting our daily crossiant fix at a patisserie in Aix, we mapped out our plan of action (a must when travelling the back roads of France) and started on our way. The 2 lane roads were barely wide enough for one car, let alone 2 and the curves and winding lanes resembled the Whistler run back home. Driving through the hundreds of vineyards towards the Luberon was a pretty drive but once we arrived in the Luberon is was breathtaking. We had lunch in a quaint town called Lourmarin. John had quiche and I a croque monsieur. Think I've mentioned this before but there are way way way more French people in the South. No surprise but we definitely stick out. It's wonderfully laid back though and following lunch we meandered the zig zagging roads through Bonnieux to Gordes, our destination for the evening. On the way we passed more vineyards, lavender fields and more hill top vistas, followed by sweeping valley views. We now understand why people gravitate to Provence to retire, or just to hang out for awhile. It's hot, no one moves too fast and you feel a million miles from everywhere. We don't even have internet in our hotel - a true vacation.

Our hotel (a converted "mas" - farmhouse) is just outside the village. I hesitate to say it's as big as a town as there are only 2000 people that live in Gordes. To put that in perspective, my highschool had 1700 in it!

Gordes may well be one of the most picturesque towns either of us has ever seen. Apparently, it's the most photographed hilltop village in Provence and it's understandable why but its when you walk around that the true beauty comes through. It's so old (from the year 1100) and words cannot describe the pictures and the pictures can not convey the sight. There are steps everywhere and stoned alleyways amongst the shops selling lavender, herbs de provence, fabric and pottery. Its gorgeous.

During our now regular late afternoon nap time we watched the Tour de France finale which was cool b/c the circuit took the cyclists past our hotel in Paris a few times. It brought back great memories of Paris. We miss Paris. Provence is nice but Paris is Paris.

Had a pre-dinner drink in a terrace at a lovely hotel in Gordes. Had a Pastis and tapenade while looking over the Luberon, waiting for our dinner reservation. The restaurant we went to is tucked away and the "fresh" sheet was so fresh that the only menu was on a chalk board that was moved from table to table for ordering. It was a great family run place that had great ambiance and fantastic, yet simple, food.

Tomorrow we head to Avignon which will be our home for the next 3 nights. Tomorrow evening we're going to Caromb to have dinner with Bev, a family friend of John's who spends a lot of here time in Provence. It'll be nice to spend some time with someone other than ourselves who we can have an actual conversation with and who can give some inside scoop on the area.

Miss you all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb