Bien venue à La Réunion


Advertisement
Published: June 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Café Court Café Court Café Court

Short Black, strong as mud.
Réunion is a tropical island twice the size of Okinawa and half the size of Kangaroo Island in the Indian Ocean. The 210 kilometre coastline hugs 2 volcanoes, one active and one dormant, with 3 glorious collapsed caldera known here as Cirques (circuses). We are here to visit a friend and colleague from Okinawa. Not just visiting for the volcanoes!





French is the official language spoken here, but the locals speak Creole. Months of study before arriving, is helping bridge the gap, because many people don’t speak English. Total immersion in the language, plus daily conversation with our host helps. I can talk about food, hiking and volcanic activity in faltering French. I cannot understand Creole!



The first week has been busy, visiting markets, hiking and flying over the island. The range of food here is amazing. Tropical fruit and vegetables I have never seen before. The island population is a mix of mainland French, Indian, Chinese and Africans. The Creole cuisine is a mix of all of these. Fresh baguettes, rice, dahl, sweet&sour veggies and pickles all on the same plate.



Tropical winter on the coast is warm and in the mountains is cooler. After 3 plus years of staying at home, it is fabulous to visit somewhere new.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cinnamon Cinnamon
Cinnamon

For sale in local market
LunchLunch
Lunch

On the veranda
CheesesCheeses
Cheeses

Who’s cheese in pictures
St Dénis St Dénis
St Dénis

Mosque & Primary School
Hindu Temple Hindu Temple
Hindu Temple

Under construction


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb