Day 4 - Belgium


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Canal tourCanal tourCanal tour

Many of the builds had construction dates on them of the 1700s, and 1600s. The oldest bridge, still in use today (with stalactites growing underneath) dated from the 1550s.
Our Top 8 list for Brugge, Belgium.

8. You can drink beer walking around the streets
7. A can of beer costs less than a can of Coke Light.
6. Three cans of beer taste better than a can of Coke Light.
5. Canal tours are guided in Flemish, French, and Flenglish (English with a heavy Flemish accent)
4. In Canada, there's a Tim Horton's on every 2nd corner. In Brugge, there's a chocolate shop at every second store.
3. Pronounced in proper Flemish, the word Brrrruugge takes approximately 7 seconds in total.
2. The Belgians do appear to sport the odd pot belly (much to Nigel's relief!) probably due to all the beer, chocolate and waffles....
1. Mmmmm belgian chocolates!

Today was an awesome day in Brugge! We took in a chocolate museum (including some samples - can't maintain the pot belly with fruits and veg alone....) and a beautiful canal boat tour. Really quite spectacular! Then just wandered the streets and shops and found a nice park where the kids played and we sat and relaxed while Nigel enjoyed a Belgian beer! We had panini's so flat they looked like a truck drove over them and a belgian waffle so thick we could barely stuff it in our mouth! On the way home we stopped for dinner at a belgian buffet restaurant and some of the menu options were kangaroo (no joke) and ostrich. We stuck with the more traditional mussels and breads and cheeses at the cold buffet.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Little boy peeing chocolateLittle boy peeing chocolate
Little boy peeing chocolate

At the Choco-Story Musueum, we sampled white chocolate made with beans from Dominican Republic. Tasted like no white chocolate we'd had before. Yummy. It was like a coffee shop except with chocolate varietals ade from beans grown in 20 different countries, each with a unique chocolate flavour. Gourmet all the way.
The MarketThe Market
The Market

Of late, Brugge has exploded in popularity. Of the 6,270 people in the square this afternoon only three were from Brugges. The rest were mainly american and french tourists. Tin Tin hails from Brugge and Steven Spielberg has a Tin Tin movie filmed here coming out in the Fall.
Mmmmmmm..wafflesMmmmmmm..waffles
Mmmmmmm..waffles

Lori at last got her heart's desire: a street waffel for only 1.50 Euros. Delish!
Licker? I Hardly know 'er.Licker? I Hardly know 'er.
Licker? I Hardly know 'er.

Yes, the sign does actually read "I Like a Licker". Some things just don't translate well.
City scapeCity scape
City scape

Brugge os a beautiful old city. Cobble stone streets, horse-drawn carriages, canals.


13th July 2010

i like waffles!
Glad to hear you like Belgium. I was there with the military in '93. Stayed in Eupen and I believe it's spelled Heubach. I loved that every small community had it's own brewery. God bless cheap but amazingly good belgian beer. Canadian tax payers would revolt if they saw what the rest of the beer drinking nations paid for beer.
14th July 2010
Rachel made a wish!

are you going to flanders fields? there was a famous canadian battle there and you can see it all. tell us about rachel's wish making we are getting synthetic turf in our front yard. have fun
18th July 2010

We envy you
Hi guys, We are glad to hear from you and wish you an extraordinary trip. We miss you, Daniel and Monica

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb