Milk Chocolate is for the Weak


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We facebooked a couple people: parker's french sister and janna. our friend from the american bar the previous night. French sister was off in germany and unable to help. Janna generously opened her home. She is living in paris for the summer while she does biochemical chemistry (something about yeast). She stayed in our hostel one night after some difficulties with mother. Luckily for us, she opened her home. We hiked on over (it was only 20 minutes away from our hostel) and headed up five sets of stairs to reach their flat. We had such a great conversation with janna and her mom that we neglected to allow for a reasonable amount of sleeping time. our train was at 6:50. we woke up at 5. we went to sleep at 2. you do the math. it was still far better than roaming the streets of paris all night, or dropping 40 euro for a hotel room. thanks janna and mom!



so we woke up. barely. rushed across the city. the metro was not moving fast enough. we checked our boarding passes this time. got on our train. thank god. we couldn't keep our eyes open. the train stopped. it siad brussels. we wer esupposed to connect in brussels midi. this was brussels zuid. we decided it was close enough. waffled a bit, then made our way off of the train. nolan got off. adi got...no. the door closed. um...

we started moving again. cellphone time. told nolan to go to an info desk or something. a nice lady came through. she explained that zuid and midi are the same thing. our boarding passes said "midi" and the station said "zuid." so we got off at the next stop, liege. still in brussels. hopped on a train to bruges from there. nolan hopped on one at zuid. he arrived an hour before the others and scouted out the whole town. its not very big. the rset arrived. he met the others at the train station. re-united, we checked into the hostel. nice place. nothing to complain about. the lobby was a bar, which was a mixed blessing.

after much deliberation, the team settled on a small family-owned "italian" place to eat lunch. parker adi and nolan got 3 euro saghetti. parker's lasted 2 meals. he ate the rest for braekfast the next morning. sam and eleni crashed. adi and nolan and parker wandered. they saw swans. churches. jesusblood. almost dali manuscripts, but they decided it was too expensive. they could barely keep their eyes open, but they trecked on. they got some streetside waffles. from batter to waffle right in front of their eyes. adi and parker got chocolate. nolan got caramel. just what they needed. revived by the sugary goodness (there were little sugar crystals inside. yum!) they went to a bar near the hostel to grab some shakomel. they thought it was some sort of unique belge specialty. it was just hot chocolate. but it still hit the spot. they played some cards. well, lots of cards. the waittress claimde to know how to play presidents. they were skeptical. they were also tired. 7:30 came and they decided it was a reasonable time to go to sleep. they got around 13 hours of sleep that night. the girls got more. it was a long time coming.

sorry about the posting draught. moreto come soon.

Advertisement



11th July 2008

um...shakomel is to die for. even though it is just hot chocolate. best hot chocolate in the world!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb