Dark Beer and Darker Nights


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Saint-Raphael » Brugge
September 25th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mad ScientistMad ScientistMad Scientist

Its called Kwak. Its named after what happens to you when you finish, ala Das Boot from Beer Fest.
After approximately 6 days, we determined that Amsterdam had been successfully defeated, and it was time to head to Belgium. The reason? Well, after 6 days of Heineken it was about time for some real beer, and there is no better place than Belgium. Oh god, is there no better place than Belgium. But where oh where in Belgium? Well, I guess theres no better way than hitting the motorway and finding out first-hand.

We first drove towards Antwerpe and shortly found out that there wasn't much going on there, although from the shots you can clearly tell it is a beautiful city.

The Captain's good friend advised that we should check out Brugge, and so forth we sailed.

Judge for yourself, but Brugge is a very beautiful city full of cobblestone walkways, chocolate shops, old people, expensiveness, lace, Tintin, waffles, frites, and...wait for it....wait for it..... SOME OF THE BEST BEER EVER!

Our first night found us at this random beer house (with over 300 varities) where the Cap and I had about 7 different beers each. We tried our best to go through all 300, but at an average of 9% per beer, it would
Antwerpe CastleAntwerpe CastleAntwerpe Castle

Possibly where Gulliver lived?
be safe to say we were smashed after 7.

The next day was raining and so our bike trip was sort of cancelled, so instead I bombarded everyone with travelblog updates. My bad. We then toured the area, took pictures, and decided it was time to be off.

You'll notice the lack of hilarity in this post, and for that you have my apologies. Brugge and Belgium were quite beautiful, but really, we were there for the beer. And we tried the beer. And it was good. So lay off.

That night, at about 7pm we were bored and figured, you know, why not head to Geneva?

Seemed like a good idea, for the Cap had a friend there we could hole up with. And so the adventure saw us head off to Geneva, through France. France is expensive. Period. Unless your are buying sparkling water or beer, France is expensive. And difficult because they truly have no desire to learn English. Thank god the Cap and I speak french so well....

While there are no real customs/borders, France is littered with toll booths. I think in total, two toll booths cost us around 80
Antwerpe Flag buildingAntwerpe Flag buildingAntwerpe Flag building

Lots of flags...
Euro. These toll booths are also prone to random car checks, and guess which two Canadians in a rental car from Germany got checked?!?!? It was a pretty routine check at first, until I had the genius idea of pulling my map to Amsterdam out of my pocket when being patted down. The cop's reaction was really to be expected: "Zyou av beeen tu Amsterdam?" followed by him running over to his superior and then an increased bag and car inspection. They even went through the spare tire compartment and engine. Thank god we didn't follow through with our pot smuggling plan.

Other than that, France was pretty desolate as I was sailing through the countryside in the middle of the night. But a perfect opportunity to practice my gearing down, and more excitingly, gearing up as the Captain slept. We arrived in Geneva around 3am.






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Antwerpe squareAntwerpe square
Antwerpe square

I really like squares. This one was one of my favourites.
Favourite BeerFavourite Beer
Favourite Beer

Looks like Guinness has some competition. Best dark (donker) beer I've ever had.
Finklestein's methodFinklestein's method
Finklestein's method

I found the beer sharp. I made a judo chop. Self explanatory, really...
Strong beerStrong beer
Strong beer

This beer was like 12% and was very angry and agressive
MwahahahMwahahah
Mwahahah

A collection of our evil doings
AccomplishmentsAccomplishments
Accomplishments

Far better accomplishment than the UFE, I'd say. ;-)
TINTIN!!!TINTIN!!!
TINTIN!!!

Herge, the author, is from beligum. I read the Captain The Mystery of the Mournful Stomach
More SquaresMore Squares
More Squares

Can't get enough...
Statue in the squareStatue in the square
Statue in the square

OOOOOoooohhhhh
Belgian ChocolateBelgian Chocolate
Belgian Chocolate

The Cap bought fancy chocolates. I bought cigar flavour and Curry flavour. That and 100 grams of block chocolate.
CanalCanal
Canal

As the cap would say, "Postcard shot"
Canadian windmillCanadian windmill
Canadian windmill

Far better than those tad dutch things.... (Dutch windmill in Belgium)
Suicide signSuicide sign
Suicide sign

If you don't wave to people on this street, they commit suicide. Serious. Highest suicide rate outside of Sweden.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb