Barcelona - Nice - Monaco


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
July 10th 2013
Published: July 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nice ApartmentNice ApartmentNice Apartment

Love the shuttered doors
Managed to get Trev medicated up so that he felt somewhat human and able to fly. Head, sinus and down to his chest so he is hacking, snorting and blowing! Ended up at the airport with lots of time and once we were all loaded on the plane it was announced that we couldn't depart for 1 hour!! 😊 Captain assured us he was working on getting the departure sooner. Apparently there was thunderstorms in the Nice area and something about the Brussels tower....not sure why Belgium had any say about when our flight from Barcelona would take off!! Odd. Good news though we were only delayed 25 minutes. First delay on our trips far so can't complain.

Arrived in Nice to overcast skies and warm temperatures. Took a bit to find the bus depot but got on the right bus and headed to Nice City Center. Our host didn't say which stop to get off and it ended up with us going much further than we needed to. Her phone number didn't work for me (found out later I didn't need to dial the first 2 digits). We wandered the streets and then decided to find a hotel that was a decent size that would probably have taxis nearby. SCORE!!! Not to far down the street we found a taxi with a cheery, chatty driver. He new exactly where we needed to go and we had a delightful conversation along the way. 50 Rue le Madeline....44 Rue le Madeline....where is 46???? No way was I getting out of the taxi without seeing the number. I gave the taxi driver our hosts phone number and he chatted with her and got us to 46! She shouted a greeting from the 4th floor and buzzed us up. She and her husband Jerome welcomed us to their apartment and walked us through everything. So hospitable...gave us some ideas about what was available, maps and keys. We are ready, but first a good nights sleep is in order! Trev was pretty wiped out but a trooper for sure.

Well, so much for the good night sleep....I can't get used to these double beds. Such a large reduction from a kingsize bed. Night was hot and sticky but Trev slept well so that's good. Time to find breakfast. Our stomachs were grumbling as we skipped dinner last night (absolutely good for us as
Nice ApartmentNice ApartmentNice Apartment

Pretty Modern kitchen
we have been eating LOTS!!) We were hoping for a cooked breakfast with some eggs etc but the restaurant we chose only had pastries & coffee...grill not open until 12pm. So hard to take when pain au chocolat and croissants are the only things available...NOT! Trev had espresso and I had cafe au lait.

Nice is as I remember with this gorgeous promenade that follows the coast line. We walked and walked enjoying the views and yes we saw some very tiny bathing suits and no bathing suits!! Several restaurants with access to the beach a they make umbrellas and loungers available. The beach vendor was entertaining.

Wandered up towards the city center and decided we would have lunch in Monaco!! How French Riviera/Cote d'Azur is that? Found our way to the train station and that is where the fun began. Managed to purchase our tickets and were walking down the stairs when a group of 20 somethings started running, exclaiming that there were only 3 minutes left until our train left. We started walking faster, after all we are 50+ years old!! They were so frantic it spurred us on and we started running too. One girls
Nice ApartmentNice ApartmentNice Apartment

An IMac to use!
was determined the doors would NOT close on any of us that she put her body between them. She got on board and then another fellow put is backside between them and kept it open for us to get on! Nothing like an adrenaline rush to start the day. We all had a good chuckle while gasping for breath. Hot and humid inside the train, packed in with most passengers going to Monaco. We were able to get peeks of gorgeous blue water, incredible rock seaside and yachts as we travelled along! Many tunnels along the 20 minute train ride.

We walked to the harbor by winding our way around the streets. Beautifully clean city and so densely populated. The harbor was gorgeous with all of the boats/yachts that I remember. We got to the Casino, walked back to the inner harbor for lunch and then tried to take a bus back to the train station! Whoops, wrong bus, let's try another one...Yep that worked...stopped for an ice cream and soda to cool off before the return train to Nice.

I went left, Trev went right, both to get information. Mine was information about our train to Cinque
Nice BreakfastNice BreakfastNice Breakfast

Pain au Chocolat - Cafe au Lait
Terra for tomorrow and Trev's was to find out bus information to get us back to the apartment. Missions accomplished and we made it back. Hot but not bothered. Glad of a cool/cold shower and rest. We'll go out for a late dinner tonight so we can enjoy all the lights of the promenade...I think a romantic walk is in order. Might even steal a kiss or 2 😊

Lovely walk along the promenade with a beautiful cool breeze from the ocean. Walked a few miles and found pizza. Trev had his heart set on it and we found an ocean front seat. Enjoyed a gelato on the way back and a quick sit down to watch the night time fishermen. Amber & Nate need to come here and fish!! We all need to come here for a vacation. Absolutely gorgeous part of the world.

Hoping that we catch Morgan tonight on Face Time....she has proved elusive.. Off to Cinque Terra tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Nice PromenadeNice Promenade
Nice Promenade

Beautiful sunny day. This is the view from the promenade at the end of our street looking to the west...Cannes, Atibes etc
Nice PromenadeNice Promenade
Nice Promenade

Promenade to the east - Monaco, Cinque Terre
Beach VendorBeach Vendor
Beach Vendor

Doing his thang!!
Nice PromenadeNice Promenade
Nice Promenade

A restaurant on the beach that includes umbrellas and loungers!!
Nice PromenadeNice Promenade
Nice Promenade

Looks like an awesome place to take a nap!
Nice PromenadeNice Promenade
Nice Promenade

Someone went to a lot of effort to say something with small rocks. I have no clue what it says though!!
Nice Street SceneNice Street Scene
Nice Street Scene

Street scene on our way to the Railway Station
Nice Street SceneNice Street Scene
Nice Street Scene

Want these pots....I KNOW, I KNOW I'm obsessed
MonacoMonaco
Monaco

View from the train station
MonacoMonaco
Monaco

Long way down. taken from the walkway leading away from the train station
MonacoMonaco
Monaco

Same spot, different direction
MonacoMonaco
Monaco

I believe this is bougainvillea. Seemed to be growing out of the rocks
MonacoMonaco
Monaco

Beautiful flowering wall
FerrariFerrari
Ferrari

Trev figured this matte black machine would look good beside his 1969 Chevy Truck!!


9th July 2013
Night time fishing

Monniker
Glad you're enjoying yourselves. Stopped by your homestead today to pick up a part that was supposed to arrive before you left but I was only notified this morning by the supplier that UPS had dropped it on your stoop last Wednesday! Good news is that the gardener's doing a great job of keeping the place up!
9th July 2013
Night time fishing

Glad you got your parts and happy to hear the gardeners are doing their jobs!! The neighbor boy is cutting the grass and Amber is tending the garden and pots. We are really having a wonderful time. Writing the blog now and then creating a book at the end will preserve all the fun moments and the pictures will be a constant reminder of all we have enjoyed.
9th July 2013

Nice
Glad that you're having such a fabulous time. Think you have missed your calling. Blog is great. Keep it up - we're enjoying it immensely. Dad and Mom
10th July 2013

Tell Dad to get out of his chair and WANT to come along with us in reality!!! We are really enjoying ourselves. Still finding it a bit hard to slow down but here in Cinque Terre is exactly what has to happen. Very slow pace and warm. Hugs to you both

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb