Nice is Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
October 27th 2011
Published: December 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Before this day, I had no idea where or what the French Riviera actually was, so I was in for a treat! For those who also don’t know where it is, it is the Mediterranean coastline on the southeast of France and border of Italy. A few facts; has 300 days of sunshine a year (apparently), hosts 50%!o(MISSING)f the world’s super yacht fleet each year, has 115km’s of coastline, high rolling casinos, 18 golf courses, 3000 restaurants and is home to some wealthy celebrities. It may not be the affordable holiday destination for everyone, but it only cost me a fraction of my bus ticket to enjoy the multi-million dollar views of Monaco, dream about sailing a luxurious yacht to the horizon and back to my hostel in the largest city of Nice (pronounced Neece).

My 2 days in Nice came under the ‘not so sunny’ umbrella of the 65 days of the year where the sun wasn’t shining (except the afternoon we arrived and moring we left) but that didn’t stop me from exploring the streets of Old Town, enjoying the views and treating my tastebuds. On day one, Tammy and I walked up Le Chateau (hill) to take in views of the marina and it’s collection of luxurious yachts, beach and Old Town.

A planned visit to Eze Village (a fortified medieval village) was postponed when the bus didn’t turn up (until we walked away ofcourse), but the next day was so wet that we didn’t end up going at all. A walk through Old Town to see the flower and antique market was enough to soak us from head to toe and make Tammy do some funny umbrella moves in the wind, so we sought shelter in the Cathedral of Ste Reparate to confess our addiction to some of the best gelato we’ve had (yes, it keeps getting better!). We were told about Finnochio gelato on the bus and made it our mission to try all 80 flavours including beer, cactus, mandarin, black olive and chocolate Ferrero rocher. Ok, not really, but I did have Ferrero rocher and bounty.. twice! To be a shops first and last customers in a day is a privilege, especially since it was only 11am! The day was so wet and miserable that ice-cream wasn’t everyones top pick to lick so they closed, just after we got some!

The time came to farewell my new found fabulous friend Tammy and board the big blue bus for the last leg of my Busabout journey.

Switzerland was in my sights and ready to give me a sky high experience like no other!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

French Riviera coastlineFrench Riviera coastline
French Riviera coastline

(free bus views)


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb