Monaco


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
October 30th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monaco for the day



Stepping out of the train station at Monaco, we were immediately assaulted by loud American pop music, screaming, clinking of game machines, and swarms of people. It's like a state fair/amusement park at it's worst. I just wanted to get away from the area ASAP. It was an amusement park with rides set up right along the harbor. May be fun for some, but not what I came to Europe to see.

Getting away from it along the harbor and climbing up many steps to the chateau, the view is beautiful. Monaco is so small, lots of high rises and yachts. We pass by some tourists, including an old guy in an all white jogging suit (who wears those except in mob movies?), led by a super athletic young guy (probably his trainer), jogging up to the chateau.

Once we get to the top, we stumbled on one of those mini-tour-trams and hop in just before takeoff. It was the best part of this day trip, in my opinion. In 30 minutes we toured the whole country. The audio explanation gave history of the stuff we are seeing. We saw some super

fancy cars, really high end shops, the casino, palace, from the outside. Afterwards we wander around the old streets for a bit. Then calling it a day and heading back to the station.

Some confusion on which one is the Nice train platform and when the next train is. There were no immediate info sessions and the displays were not informative. The whole place is open and one just walk in and out. We had a ticket but nobody, on either Nice or Monaco end, bothered to check it. They don't check on the trains either. Nice to have such an honor system. Anyway, we eventually find some people and ask for the right platform. Getting on the train it was already dark as we pass by the little train stops.

My impression of Monte Carlo? A better version of Vegas for sure, classier, but not some place I'd go again. Nice to see once, nice to visit for a few days if you are super rich, but I'm okay not going again.














Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th October 2009

Interesting impression of the city...I am not so sure I get your point about Vegas though...Monaco is about being rich true...But, there is very little in the city about imitation, unlike Vegas...Oh well, I am not so fond of Monaco, but I am sooo fond of the surrounding setting of this city...The cliffs, and mountains and sea :) and very nice botanical gardens as well. As always, thanks for sharing!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb