Cote D'Azur


Advertisement
Published: September 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 9th Istres to Draguignan

Travelled through Marseilles (had intended to bypass it but somehow ended up going right through the old port - this was lucky because it was really worth seeing). Continued along the Cote D’Azur stopping off at the Carrefour on the edge of Toulon. The coast is pretty with beautiful turquoise sea but a bit too many villas for my taste. The coastal roads were very busy and the campsites (as we anticipated they might be - all full). We therefore headed inland to the mountains and as the time was getting late stopped on a site we happened on just outside the town of Draguignan. It is a very down to earth working class French site and that earth is very dry and dusty. A boules tournament was in full progress as we arrived.

Thursday 10th Draguignan

Horrendous cycle trip into town along busy dual carriageway. Draguignan certainly not designed for cyclists. Bizarrely the town claim to fame is Artillery. (Has museum and school on the sign). Good site for people watching. Lots of boules being played and tournaments of a card game called ‘Buzet ?’. Interesting signs ‘Dogs not allowed to poo poo on the campsite’ ‘Do not dump cumbersome items’. Saw French at play in the evening. On stage in evening amateur female impersonation artists.

Friday 11th August

To town with Jen by cycle having found a less horrendous route. Coffee in a square whilst watching the clearing up following the mornings market, including pooper scooper man on motorbike with large pooper hoover attached. Back at site entertained by solo male cyclist in holy underpants erecting his tent. Nearly put Jen off her wine.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb