More Provence


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in Provence we took another drive but this time northwest of Avignon along the Cote de Rhone, one of France's wine regions. The countryside was hilly, and light green from new growth of leaves on the grape vines. All very scenic. We stopped at a hill village called Vaison-de-Romaine which had Roman ruins right beside where we parked. The town was also having a flea market and many people were out touring. It was the first of May, which is Labor Day in France, so everyone had the day off.

Then we decided to change directions and visit the Pont du Gard which was just amazing to see. Built by the Romans almost 2000 years ago, it is a huge bridge spanning a canyon and consists of three rows of arches, one on top of the other. It was originally used as an aquaduct to bring water to the people of Nimes. The entire aquaduct was more than 30 miles long but only had a total of 40 feet of slope. It is such a remarkable piece of engineering built in the days without heavy equipment; just wood, ropes, and manpower to cut and set all the stones in place without any mortar.

Tomorrow we take the 'fast train' TGV back to Paris for one night, then the 'Chunnel' back to London on Sunday. Then we'll fly out of London on Monday morning, have a layover at Dulles in DC, then back to San Francisco by Monday night. No matter how much fun and new places we experience, it's always good to get back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Pont du GardPont du Gard
Pont du Gard

The little dots on the lower tier are people.
Pont du GardPont du Gard
Pont du Gard

View from the base
Pont du GardPont du Gard
Pont du Gard

View from the bridge


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb